• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Free Public Transport for All

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Rail, Tram and Bus travel is to become free for all as from July next year ! I kid you not, but sadly this is being introduced by the new Luxembourg Coalition Government, and not the UK, where the next round of rail fare rises has been announced, and by hopping on a London Bus you will still be subsidising the Paris Metro !

Now if you want to get people out of their cars, surely this is the way to do it, rather than to price them off the road ?

iscalad

How would this be paid for?

manc grecian

Higher taxation

Colesman Ballz

Higher taxation
Ironically doing away with existing commuter tax breaks, will partly fund the scheme, plus of course doing away with the ticketing system and collection of fares will also help. The existing system is already highly subsidised. It costs a billion euros a year to run, but because of concessionary fares generates only 30M euros in ticket receipts. Maybe there is EU funding involved ? It is certainly a novel way to tackle congestion and drive down Co2 emissions. Time will tell how effective it is.

iscalad

Higher taxation
Politically unacceptable.

Swanaldo

Fair and transparent pricing would encourage me to use the train. It should be (for example) 25p a mile across the board, the busier routes would naturally subsidise the less-used lines.

StroudGrecian

I believe Luxembourg has other ways of raising revenue.

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
Politically unacceptable.
Perhaps at the moment, but I think views on this are shifting somewhat. People want better public services and are more willing to pay.

I've thought for a while now we need to offer universal free public transport to make headway on climate change. I love this idea.

Swanaldo

I believe Luxembourg has other ways of raising revenue.
eBay's tax bill must be worth a quid or two to them.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I just want the trains to stop at St James Park. ;(