• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cars

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Has anybody got a Hyundai Tucson ?, and if so, what are they like ?

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don’t have the Tucson but have driven the Hyundai ix35 for the last few years and it’s been a superb car. If the Tucson is anything similar I’d say go for it!

Avening Posse

I don’t have the Tucson but have driven the Hyundai ix35 for the last few years and it’s been a superb car. If the Tucson is anything similar I’d say go for it!
Cheers Moomin, will check those out as well

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Do any SUV's actually perform as 4x4s though or are they just faddy little Chelsea tractors ? I read the VW Touareg is no better than any two wheel drive.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
They'll never be as good as a Land-Rover with locking diffs, but would still run rings around most two wheel drive vehicles.

At Goodwood FoS a few years ago I went on an experience drive around the fields with a Porsche Cayenne test driver (Cayenne is same platform/drivetrain as a Touareg iirc), and in thick mud it was very impressive. Any 2WD car would have been stuck for certain.

BTW, if you're considering a Qashqai (or other Nissan) at all (appreciate it's smaller than a Tucson, but similar to ix35) feel free to pm me, I can get new car discount of around 15-18% off list price as employee discount (I don't sell them though so can't help with sales/test drive, the engineeringy bit is my thing).

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wouldn't be driving through mud, it's steep hills with snow and ice that's my problem. Got my winter tyres on but I still reckon to abandon my car two or three times and walk home in winter , more if it's a bad one. Thanks for the generous offer but regrettably I'm not in the market for a new car for the foreseeable.

Oldsmobile-88

AP what is the preferred fuel in Aus,petrol or diesels ?

Avening Posse

odd one Olds, about 75% of new car sales are petrol but the demand for diesel cars currently outstrips this significantly, but it appears there just isn't enough of them imported

Oldsmobile-88

That is interesting..In the UK it was roughly a 50/50 split,but in the past year it is now 62/38 in favour of petrol..That could rise significantly in the next couple of years.A lot of newish desiels do not pass the stricter emissions zone(£12 a day) that will be in place in the Greater London area in 2020.

mustangspeed2006

That is interesting..In the UK it was roughly a 50/50 split,but in the past year it is now 62/38 in favour of petrol..That could rise significantly in the next couple of years.A lot of newish desiels do not pass the stricter emissions zone(£12 a day) that will be in place in the Greater London area in 2020.

The demise of diesel can't come soon enough.

In Berlin, they've already banned the highest-polluting diesel cars with further measures and more stringent laws on the way. I think Munich has introduced a clean air bill that effectively takes the form of a diesel ban. Other major cities across the world are also following suit with the aim of a total ban by the middle of the 2020s.

I have a lot of sympathy for less well-off diesel drivers who may not be able to afford a new cleaner vehicle. They were encouraged to go diesel by the government in the 2000s (IIRC, Gordon Brown cut diesel fuel duty at the beginning of the decade), but are now being told about diesel emissions' serious health implications. I'd like to think these people will be fairly compensated for trading their cars in, as London cab driver were with the plug-in taxi grant scheme.

At the end of the day, diesels (and petrols) need to be phased out as soon as possible in favour of hybrid and electric vehicles. This is where the US has had a head start, since diesel never really made any in-roads over there (thanks to the price of petrol being so cheap). As a result, American car manufacturers were able to focus more energy on hybrid and electric vehicle development. It's time for Europe to catch up though and work still needs to be done, as almost half of new car sales across the continent continue to be diesel.