• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

January shopping list - what are the priorities?

Temporarily Exiled

With less than six weeks until the January transfer window opens, Taylor will already be on the lookout to see who he can recruit to improve the side. We've generally done little business during the January window in seasons past, so I wouldn't expect many players coming in - especially with a fairly high wage bill already.

My list:

A holding midfielder
Tillson has, to the surprise of nearly everyone, proven himself to be almost invaluable in our side under Taylor. When he plays, we look much more sound defensively - when he's gone, we look defensively frail. However, he's the only defensive midfielder we have. Competition could push Tillson forwards, while it would also give the team more tactical versatility when defending a lead, and provide cover in case of injury.
Potential options: Ben Sheaf (Arsenal), Matthew Virtue (Liverpool).

A backup keeper
Hamon impressed during his run of games in the side, and I think he'd benefit massively from being able to play at a club week-in week-out. I think that if we can get experienced cover for Pym (as Jones provided in the second half of last season), we should take the opportunity to bring them in and help Hamon advance. Pym's injury this season may actually help us find cover here, as anybody coming in will see themselves as having the chance to earn a spot.
Potential options: Jakob Haugaard (Stoke City), Anssi Jaakkola (Reading).

Extensions for Ogbene and O'Shea
It wouldn't be a new signing, but with their loan deals set to expire on New Year's Day, agreements with Brentford and West Brom will need to be reached to keep the pair at SJP beyond December. We haven't seen as much of Ogbene as I'd hoped - the timing of his injury being particularly unfortunate - but he offers something a bit different going forward for us (especially off the bench). Meanwhile, O'Shea has done very well since he came into the side, and it would be a shame to see him leave just as he's beginning to make his mark for us. It will be a boost to our promotion credentials if they stay on for the rest of the season.

Where do you think we need to recruit? Do you think we should stick or twist with Ogbene and O'Shea?

Last edited:

Saint James

With less than six weeks until the January transfer window opens, Taylor will already be on the lookout to see who he can recruit to improve the side. We've generally done little business during the January window in seasons past, so I wouldn't expect many players coming in - especially with a fairly high wage bill already.

My list:

A holding midfielder
Tillson has, to the surprise of nearly everyone, proven himself to be almost invaluable in our side under Taylor. When he plays, we look much more sound defensively - when he's gone, we look defensively frail. However, he's the only defensive midfielder we have. Competition could push Tillson forwards, while it would also give the team more tactical versatility when defending a lead, and provide cover in case of injury.
Potential options: Ben Sheaf (Arsenal), Matthew Virtue (Liverpool).

A backup keeper
Hamon impressed during his run of games in the side, and I think he'd benefit massively from being able to play at a club week-in week-out. I think that if we can get experienced cover for Pym (as Jones provided in the second half of last season), we should take the opportunity to bring them in and help Hamon advance. Pym's injury this season may actually help us find cover here, as anybody coming in will see themselves as having the chance to earn a spot.
Potential options: Jakob Haugaard (Stoke City), Anssi Jaakkola (Reading).

Extensions for Ogbene and O'Shea
It wouldn't be a new signing, but with their loan deals set to expire on New Year's Day, agreements with Brentford and West Brom will need to be reached to keep the pair at SJP beyond December. We haven't seen as much of Ogbene as I'd hoped - the timing of his injury being particularly unfortunate - but he offers something a bit different going forward for us (especially off the bench). Meanwhile, O'Shea has done very well since he came into the side, and it would be a shame to see him leave just as he's beginning to make his mark for us. It will be a boost to our promotion credentials if they stay on for the rest of the season.

Where do you think we need to recruit? Do you think we should stick or twist with Ogbene and O'Shea?
Agree regards extending our loanees - also what's Abrahams situation? In relation to other areas I fancy our hand could be forced according to players leaving. I cant see Hamon leaving before the end of the season but we may well need a new No 1 notably after scouting reports get circulated after today's match. Replacing Tillson is a good shout but finding one in January may be tougher than the options available in the summer perhaps

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not too sure we need to sign anyone, although I agree it would be good to get Hamon out on loan. I am hopeful that Collins can be the answer in central midfield. Sparkes doesn't look likely to break into the first team just yet so it would make sense to keep Ogbene. Also I don't know how long Hartridge is out for but the way O'Shea is playing he definitely seems worth keeping on.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Really worried about the January window it seems odds on that Clubs will come in with bids for both Jayden and Christy. My gut feeling Christy could be the likeliest to leave.

Any offer is likely to be lower than that for Jayden and we are not desperate to sell but if it is half decent and an opportunity for Christy to play at a higher level, given the Club has established a reputation for not standing in the way of allowing players to progress, I can see him leaving.

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hard tackling midfielder. Needed one of these for a while.

The deluder

Bring back James Dunne!

IndoMike

A Chris Vinnicombe type left back.

Colesman Ballz

A Chris Vinnicombe type left back.
He's a bit past it these days.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
A replacement for Boateng if he's still out injured.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
A left back with some pace who likes to go forward, probably on loan from a Prem / Championship side.

He doesn't have to be the best defender in the world either, Moxey and Woodman certainly aren't.

I think our full backs are one of our weak links despite Sweeney's good run of form earlier in the season.

Woodman is generally a liability, Moxey continues to disappoint and Sweeney hasn't been effective going forward for the last couple of months.

Last edited: