• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jim Iley RIP

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not a roaring success, but still deserves to be remembered and acknowledged as a City manager

Red Devon

He was a very likeable chap from what I remember although results didn’t go his way on the pitch.

budegrecian

Took over after the Gerry Francis 'experiment', which sadly ended in relegation IIRC.
Likewise, I think he only lasted a season too before being replaced by Colin Appleton. We're talking mid eighties, so my memory is a bit hazy but I think his sacking came as a bit of a surprise as he was fairly popular with the fans & was making the best of a bad job, as we had spent heavily, by our standards, under Francis, & he had limited resources to play with.
RIP.

Oldsmobile-88

Not a roaring success, but still deserves to be remembered and acknowledged as a City manager
Indeed..Came In after the clusterfkcu season 1983/84..He was given the push towards the end of the 84/85 season with the club in the lower reaches of the 4th Division,a position that was not entirely unexpected by supporters given the small playing budget(reported as 100k iirc)

There was a bit of controversy when he was sacked,but I can’t remember the full details.

Red Devon

Took over after the Gerry Francis 'experiment', which sadly ended in relegation IIRC.
Likewise, I think he only lasted a season too before being replaced by Colin Appleton. We're talking mid eighties, so my memory is a bit hazy but I think his sacking came as a bit of a surprise as he was fairly popular with the fans & was making the best of a bad job, as we had spent heavily, by our standards, under Francis, & he had limited resources to play with.
RIP.
Seem to remember unfortunately his tenure came to an end after a pitch demonstration against him.

Oldsmobile-88

Seem to remember unfortunately his tenure came to an end after a pitch demonstration against him.
Ha...It got worse the next season under Colin Appleton,we ended up having to apply for re election..Perhaps the demonstrators had learned their lesson.No demos against him from what I recall.

budegrecian

Your memory is clearly better than mine. Not that that says much!
Thanks for the update.

Red Devon

Ha...It got worse the next season under Colin Appleton,we ended up having to apply for re election..Perhaps the demonstrators had learned their lesson.No demos against him from what I recall.
Appleton came in with a good reputation after doing a good job at Hull City....a bit of a Roy Hodgson type character.

Red Monster

Fans were on Jim’s side and there was a petition for him to be reinstated, it was the directors they were demonstrating
against I think they invaded the directors box .
He even offered to buy out Clifford Hill .

PeteUSA

Are you sure about that? I seem to recall he organised a public fans meeting at St Sidwells Church Methodist Hall, so he could put forward his side of the 'sacking' story. I think he wanted to buy in or even take over the club!