• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter vs Bristol Rovers (Checkatrade)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
A win in this unloved competition will see us finish top and gives us an advantage in the draw for the next round.

I would like to see Matty take the game seriously enough to try out a starting XI that could potentially start against Northampton on Saturday. Particularly strengthening the defence and dealing with the lack of creativity in midfield.

Ticket prices https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2018/november/upnextrovers/

Last edited:

Number13

A win in this unloved competition will see us finish top and gives us an advantage in the draw for the next round.
What is the advantage Hants? Please don't say "a home draw" as I would quite like a nice Home Counties draw please............

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
What is the advantage Hants? Please don't say "a home draw" as I would quite like a nice Home Counties draw please............
A local-ish game would be good, but the regulations say

(ii) The round of 32 pairings are determined by means of a draw whereby the winner of a group will be drawn at home and will play a runner up of a group from the same region (but not from the same group).

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
A home draw would surely be preferable to away at somewhere like Colchester or Gillingham...!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I thought I'd have a look at our potential opponents. So far it's as clear as mud especially if we win the group - less so if we're runners-up.

If we win the tie and win the group we could face:

Group A: Portsmouth (already qualified), Tottenham or Crawley. If Tottenham beat Portsmouth it's Portsmouth, if Portsmouth win Crawley qualify if they beat Gillingham; If Portsmouth win on penalties Crawley need to beat Gillingham by 5 goals.
Group B: Er, any of all of them - Cambridge, Southend, Colchester or Southampton. All on 3 points currently.
Group C: Chelsea (qualified), Swindon or Newport. Newport have to beat Plym**th by 5 goals for it to be Chelsea, but any win will send them through and knock Swindon out.
Group E: Any of them, although unlikely to be Forest Green, who only go through if Coventry beat Cheltenham on penalties. If Cheltenham beat Coventry, scoring two or more goals, we play Arsenal, if Cheltenham beat Coventry scoring one goal or on penalties it will be Cheltenham, if Coventry win it will be Coventry.
Group F: Northampton (group already finished).
Group G: Wimbledon. No matter what the result in Charlton vs Swansea match, one of them will end up group winners and the other eliminated.
Group H: Peterborough, Brighton or MK. All on 2 points, Luton already qualified as winners.

If we're runners up, we get an away trip to:

Group A: Either Portsmouth or Tottenham, depending on their result - needs to be a Tottenham win for it to be them.
Group B: Any of them - see above.
Group C: Chelsea, unless Newport beat Plym**th by five goals.
Group E: Arsenal, unless Cheltenham beat Coventry, scoring 2+ goals.
Group F: Oxford.
Group G: Charlton if they win or draw, Swansea if they win.
Group H: Luton.

Last edited:

GJW

Be nice to win a recognized trophy, even if it is not the FA or League Cup. Apart from League Champions what else can we win? I'm behind it all the way (at least for this season). We need a trip to Wembley. We don't visit our national stadium enough, in my opinion.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
If we were to be draw away against say, Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs, matches would have to be played at the Premiership home ground. See 6.4 in the regulations.

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/checkatrade-trophy/about-checkatrade/rules--regulations/

IndoMike

I thought I'd have a look at our potential opponents. So far it's as clear as mud especially if we win the group - less so if we're runners-up.

If we win the tie and win the group we could face:

Group A: Portsmouth (already qualified), Tottenham or Crawley. If Tottenham beat Portsmouth it's Portsmouth, if Portsmouth win Crawley qualify if they beat Gillingham; If Portsmouth win on penalties Crawley need to beat Gillingham by 5 goals.
Group B: Er, any of all of them - Cambridge, Southend, Colchester or Southampton. All on 3 points currently.
Group C: Chelsea (qualified), Swindon or Newport. Newport have to beat Plym**th by 5 goals for it to be Chelsea, but any win will send them through and knock Swindon out.
Group E: Any of them, although unlikely to be Forest Green, who only go through if Coventry beat Cheltenham on penalties. If Cheltenham beat Coventry, scoring two or more goals, we play Arsenal, if Cheltenham beat Coventry scoring one goal or on penalties it will be Cheltenham, if Coventry win it will be Coventry.
Group F: Northampton (group already finished).
Group G: Wimbledon. No matter what the result in Charlton vs Swansea match, one of them will end up group winners and the other eliminated.
Group H: Peterborough, Brighton or MK. All on 2 points, Luton already qualified as winners.

If we're runners up, we get an away trip to:

Group A: Either Portsmouth or Tottenham, depending on their result - needs to be a Tottenham win for it to be them.
Group B: Any of them - see above.
Group C: Chelsea, unless Newport beat Plym**th by five goals.
Group E: Arsenal, unless Cheltenham beat Coventry, scoring 2+ goals.
Group F: Oxford.
Group G: Charlton if they win or draw, Swansea if they win.
Group H: Luton.
Glad you explained that.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
So GJW's request for a return to Wembley could be sooner than we think!

andrew p long

If we were to be draw away against say, Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs, matches would have to be played at the Premiership home ground. See 6.4 in the regulations.

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/checkatrade-trophy/about-checkatrade/rules--regulations/
I take back my previous comment about not wanting to be away. Even in this dreaded competition I would be amused by/quite fancy a trip to Arsenal Chelsea or Spurs