Thread: Pages stuck together

Pages stuck together

Thatís right. After a disappointing result I needed a pleasurable release. What better way to do this than looking through my old footy programmes. Stupidly I have stacked them horizontally on top of each other rather than vertically, to give the pages a bit of freedom. They are in a sealed plastic container (well, 2 actually) and stored in a cool dark room out the back.
    A lot of pages are stuck together. Is there a way to unstick the pages without damaging? What else can I do to prevent this in the future? It would a shame not to be able to save these pieces of ECFC history. They are generally in pretty good shape but some have pages stuck due to the weight of the programmes on to of them and maybe moisture.
    Bound to be some programme collectors out there who know a bit about paper preservation and repair jobs.

Re: Pages stuck together

I had a few magazines that had the pages stuck together (not what you’re thinking) and I managed to get them apart - the magazines were still ruined though, all the faces and tits had been destroyed by the “moisture”.

Hope this helps.

The pages will be stuck due to the pressure forcing the ink to migrate and act as a glue.

The bad news is that , even if you separate the pages, the ink will have imprinted onto the adjoining page.

Having said that there are three general methods you can try.

One is to put the magazines in the freezer for a while as this could reduce the stickiness in the ink and then try to gently prize apart. It goes without saying that the freezer compartment should be as dry as possible. This is the least damaging method.

You could also try a low dry heat for a short while - radiator, hair dryer on low setting but don't overheat.

The third, more drastic version, is to steam the pages but the danger here is that the ink may imprint more or if it's a water base ink it could run. The other issue with steaming is that you then have to manage the drying process - a sunny surface in summer or above a radiator in winter.

When peeling pages apart do it as slowly as possible - this reduces the risk of tearing.

The best tool for trying to separate the pages if peeling by hand proves difficult is to used waxed dental floss between the pages.

When storing again it's better to find boxes of a size so that the programmes can be stored upright against each other rather than in piles.
    Then periodically go through the collection and flick through the pages.
    Last edited by Spoonz Red E; 11 November 2018 at 11:12.

Thanks for that. I have also seen a method on YouTube of putting in the microwave for 20 seconds. This was by an American guy for separating his stack of baseball cards that were stuck as a block. Seemed to work for him.

Found this in my collection.