Thread: Documentary The Great War : Excellent series. Have to watch.

Documentary The Great War : Excellent series. Have to watch.

Over the last few days I've been watching a documentary series (it's really an extended history lesson) entitled "The Great War : Week By Week" presented by Indy Neidell. This is a chronological account of the First World War from start to finish with a lot of detail about personalities, strategy, tactics and politics with accompanying original film.
    The very complicated events which made up this war were explained really well and I have found it so fascinating that I feel obliged to recommend it to anyone interested in military matters, history, and The Great War in general.
    The presenter is American, but fear not : it is not a "How we won the war" message from the Yanks.
    Since each episode covers just one week of the war, you can imagine there are hundreds of episodes and I have jumped bits and pieces.
    Excellent series.

Re: Documentary The Great War : Excellent series. Have to watch.

There was a similar series with the same title back in the sixties, some of the stark images haunted my childhood.

Re: Documentary The Great War : Excellent series. Have to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by STURTZ View Post
    There was a similar series with the same title back in the sixties, some of the stark images haunted my childhood.
    Yes, Sturtz, the leaders/politicians who start up these wars should try it sometimes. Absolute hell and don't know how the blokes could get through it.