• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Documentary The Great War : Excellent series. Have to watch.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Over the last few days I've been watching a documentary series (it's really an extended history lesson) entitled "The Great War : Week By Week" presented by Indy Neidell. This is a chronological account of the First World War from start to finish with a lot of detail about personalities, strategy, tactics and politics with accompanying original film.
The very complicated events which made up this war were explained really well and I have found it so fascinating that I feel obliged to recommend it to anyone interested in military matters, history, and The Great War in general.
The presenter is American, but fear not : it is not a "How we won the war" message from the Yanks.
Since each episode covers just one week of the war, you can imagine there are hundreds of episodes and I have jumped bits and pieces.
Excellent series.

STURTZ

There was a similar series with the same title back in the sixties, some of the stark images haunted my childhood.

IndoMike

There was a similar series with the same title back in the sixties, some of the stark images haunted my childhood.
Yes, Sturtz, the leaders/politicians who start up these wars should try it sometimes. Absolute hell and don't know how the blokes could get through it.