• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Naming the new Away End Stand

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is there any way we can persuade the Club to drop this ludicrous idea of naming it after a City legend just leave it as the St James Road End.

This is a small second hand and very basic stand purely for the use of away supporters. To name it after a City legend would in my view be debasing his value and totally inappropriate.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
One of the options is for it to be the St James Road Stand, so if feeling is aligned with yours strongly enough about this it will be the case.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is there any way we can persuade the Club to drop this ludicrous idea of naming it after a City legend just leave it as the St James Road End.

This is a small second hand and very basic stand purely for the use of away supporters. To name it after a City legend would in my view be debasing his value and totally inappropriate.
Totally with you on this.I was thinking of starting a similar post.

On the fb site a lot of people voted for emotive reasons without really thinking it through.I mentioned my reasoning behind why I thought it was inappropriate to name the former Barnet Stand after a genuine Grecian legend & a few who voted for the Kellow Stand wished they had not,on reflection.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Totally with you on this.I was thinking of starting a similar post.

On the fb site a lot of people voted for emotive reasons without really thinking it through.I mentioned my reasoning behind why I thought it was inappropriate to name the former Barnet Stand after a genuine Grecian legend & a few who voted for the Kellow Stand wished they had not,on reflection.
One of the options is for it to be the St James Road Stand, so if feeling is aligned with yours strongly enough about this it will be the case.

IndoMike

Whilst the new away end is an improvement I do not think it is worthy of bearing the name of any City legend. In addition, we don't want to have a legend associated with our away end, do we?

Oldsmobile-88

Indeed,but as I posted,many saw Kells name & did not really think what his name was going to be attached to on reflection.

Hope I’m wrong,but I will be surprised if Kellows name does not top the vote,which I feel would not do his name justice at SJP..Personally I thought his name should have adorned the new Stagecoach Stand,given his record at SJP & he was quite well known in the football world.Most fans put Exeter City & Tony Kellow together..Anyway that is irrevent now.

Last edited:

Red Bill

I think anyone who votes will have their own personal perfectly valid reasons for their choice and I think that should be respected. Originally before it was put to a vote I liked the idea of my hero Tony Kellow having a stand named after him, however when I actually got the chance to vote I went for the St James Road stand. I personally don't care that it the away end and now wish I'd stuck with my first choice. I don't feel it inappropriate to name the away stand after a city legend as all four stands are ECFC stands regardless of who goes in them.

I also wish people would stooging on about it being second hand. So what! it a perfectly good stand that is only two years old and is significantly better than many other stands in the lower leagues. It not the Barnet stand its ours and the whole ground looks better for having it.

fred binneys head

It’s Brexit all over again. Farce.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I also wish people would stooging on about it being second hand. So what! it a perfectly good stand that is only two years old and is significantly better than many other stands in the lower leagues. It not the Barnet stand its ours and the whole ground looks better for having it.
Agreed.

Unlike probably most of the people who post on Exeweb I have actually stood in every part of the new covered terrace and can state with confident that it is a good facility. It doesn't feel "second hand" and in fact it is only partly so; the cladding etc. is new and the treads have been refurbished to a very high standard.

Also, many supporters prefer to stand - are people unaware that there is a campaign for safe standing? There are plenty of seats for away fans who prefer to sit (350 for most games).

I never knew TK myself, and rarely saw him play as I had moved away from Exeter during his prime, but doubt if he would be insulted if his name wins the vote. And at least it has brought his name and record back into focus. As Oscar Wilde wrote, “There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.”

Last edited:

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Could be worse some of the other suggestions were The Barn and Barnette and Standy McStandface !

Personally I went for the St James Road option.