Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bands you’ve seen ........

Re: Bands you’ve seen ........

Quote Originally Posted by Stelios View Post
    Morrissey/Marr are not the easiest to emulate. Anyone can stick a gladioli up their **** but it's much harder to play like Marr. To paraphrase Noel Gallagher: "Even Johnny Marr can't play Johnny Marr's stuff".

Marr still regularly tours the UK and plays Smiths songs alongside his solo work. He was in Bridport a few years ago which I completely missed at the time.
    All I'd say is that if they're playing near you and go watch them and see what you think. The two guys who are the Morrissey/Marr part of the band are really good, Obviously they're not the real thing but IMHO pretty dam close

Quote Originally Posted by DB9 View Post
    All I'd say is that if they're playing near you and go watch them and see what you think. The two guys who are the Morrissey/Marr part of the band are really good, Obviously they're not the real thing but IMHO pretty dam close
    Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I didn't think they could be any good. Just the opposite in fact. You have to be seriously good to cover their songs which is probably one of the reasons why there are so few Smiths tribute acts.

Saw the Smiths at Glastonbury once, loads of people tried to climb on the stage to which the stewards started throwing them off, Morrisey complained that they were being too "heavy". The stewards just shrugged, left and let the audience do what they liked. The stage was rapidly filled with starstruck festival goers and the gig disappointingly ground to a halt.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelios View Post
    Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I didn't think they could be any good. Just the opposite in fact. You have to be seriously good to cover their songs which is probably one of the reasons why there are so few Smiths tribute acts.
    They are very technical songs, Spoke to the bass player and Marr inspired guitarist, This is their job and they said even now after playing the songs for years they still find something new when practicing

Quote Originally Posted by DB9 View Post
    They are very technical songs, Spoke to the bass player and Marr inspired guitarist, This is their job and they said even now after playing the songs for years they still find something new when practicing
    Not helped by the fact that most of the guitar books etc with their songs are just wrong. They may sound roughly like the songs but they are not what Marr was playing. All sorts of different tunings/layering/effects etc. Or just simply too tricky to fit onto a page.