• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Neil Lennon

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Now at no point would I ever condone people throwing coins, don't get me wrong on that one, but you kinda have to ask what Lennon expected the way he behaved.

In case you missed it, at 0-0 late on in the Edinburgh derby, Hearts had a goal (wrongly, IMO) disallowed for offside. The crowd stopped cheering, and Lennon turned to the fans behind his dugout and taunted them. Down comes a coin, glances him on the cheek, and he goes down like a sack of spuds holding his face.

Of course the Hearts fans were going to take this in good grace and chuckle along with him.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Utter bell. If he didn’t think his actions could possibly result in what happened then he’s more stupid than his gormless mug might suggest. I wouldn’t be surprised if the SFA didn’t bring a charge against him for incitement.

What an utter bell.

elginCity

If not a charge for incitement, the slow-motion 'fall' to the ground should warrant a charge for simulation. Pathetic.

A rare thread where we're all in agreement !

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Absolute gobache - he’s up there with Pardew

Stelios

Lennon is correct. He does get abuse because of his Catholic background. But he also acts like a complete t***er on the sideline. Most of the abuse he gets just wouldn't happen if behaved normally.

Neil Warnock is/was the same but without the sectarianism.

I do think though that if fans are going to dish it out and abuse people throughout a game they shouldn't get on their high horse when the abusee (not a word) dishes some words/gestures back at them.

IndoMike

I think a compromise is needed and a rotten tomato rather than a coin would be more appropriate. Even though his actions were provocative you wouldn't want someone losing an eye.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I do think though that if fans are going to dish it out and abuse people throughout a game they shouldn't get on their high horse when the abusee (not a word) dishes some words/gestures back at them.
Yes, I agree with this - hence why I was chuffed when, after scoring against us (obviously I wasn't chuffed about the scoring!) for Charlton, Bradley Wright-Phillips pointedly celebrated in front of the away fans, causing maximum OUTRAGE amongst several supporters who'd just been singing unseemly stuff about his mother.

However, there remains a time and a place for putting supporters in their place, and *perhaps* a fierce local derby when you've just got out of jail by having a goal against wrongly disallowed isn't the best time.

Bittners a Legend

I love football deeply but it is, nevertheless, just a game. Why would you want anybody to be hurt as a result of it? Throwing a coin should never become acceptable.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I love football deeply but it is, nevertheless, just a game. Why would you want anybody to be hurt as a result of it? Throwing a coin should never become acceptable.
I don't see anyone in this thread saying the coin throwing was in any way acceptable, and quite rightly.

Bittners a Legend

I don't see anyone in this thread saying the coin throwing was in any way acceptable, and quite rightly.
Despite stating that you don't condone coins being thrown you wrote "you kinda have to ask what he expected".

Antony wrote "If he didn’t think his actions could possibly result in what happened then he’s more stupid than his gormless mug might suggest".

My argument is that nobody at a football ground should expect to have a coin chucked at them. We should condemn anybody who is so angry and aggressive that they want to hurt somebody based on him gesturing to them to sit down without exception, not blame Lennon.