• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A New Record set at St James Park ?

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Did Aaron Martin (with the FGR keepers assistance) set a new record for the longest distance from which a goal has been scored at SJP ? He struck the ball from two yards inside his own half and close to the sideline, which added to the distance the ball travelled.

In 58 years of following City I can only remember two others that even came close, both in the FA Cup and one of those was 'keeper assisted' too. That came in a 1st Round tie with Dartford in November 1961, eventually drawn 3-3 when the opposition centre half lofted a high backpass from the centre circle, the keeper advanced towards it, only to see it bounce in front of him, go over his head and into the net.

The greatest of all time, must be a young Deano's effort v Doncaster Rovers in the 2nd Round in December 2004. From wide on the left and a few yards over the half way, hitting the ball over the keepers head to give us the win. That arguably was also the most important of all time too, as it led to the ties with Man Utd which financially did much to save the Club too !

Does anyone recall any others ?

Red Devon

Got a feeling an away goalkeeper scored once with a drop kick back in 70s

I don't know if my memory serves me right ( evening match ?) but a close call was when I think Darren Rowbotham knocked a long one towards the BB goal from a long way out on the old cowshed touchline....keeper got a fingertip to it unfortunately....would've been a cracker

Oldsmobile-88

I can’t remember seeing anyone score from their own half at SJP...Ronnie Jepson tried it a couple of times from kick offs with the keeper off his line,but missed the goal.