• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A pint during the match?

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Spotted this on the FGR site.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6311249/Football-League-clubs-call-33-year-ban-alcohol-stands-lifted.html

Seem s that (amongst others) the Vegans have signed up - rather surprising...is yeast a vegetable or "animal" as far as vegans are concerned? And that's not even mentioning the isinglass "finings" that were sometimes used??

But, anyhow. What is the ECFC take on this matter? Pro, Anti or merely "Agnostic"?

StroudGrecian

Yeast is a fungus, so not an animal. I'm sure you knew that!

However, people with severe fish allergies have long avoided beer because, as you have pointed out, traditionally isinglass made from fish swim bladders has been used to clarify beer, and enough 'fish' stays in the beer to produce an allergic reaction. So for years the poor sods have had to drink Kronenberg and such like.

Nowadays, however, it is increasingly common (at least in Stroud ;)) to find Vegan beer, either non-clarified beer, or beer treated with artificial (non-animal) finings. So Vegans and the fish-allergic are happier people.

I believe that all of the beer on tap at the New Lawn is now vegan.

With regard to alcohol consumption, I see no need for it - people already drink far too much as it is, doesn't do anyone any harm to have to wait 45 minutes for their next 'fix'.

Last edited:

PeteUSA

I'm firmly against alcohol being served at football matches. I dont see the need for it anymore than I do people buying grub of some sort. Why on earth do people see the need for a pasty or something after just 45 minutes of football? To the point though; I cant see how people clutching a beer will be allowed to watch the game at the same time.

oldschool

Having been to a lot of England away games where drink is allowed including the last World Cup its a nightmare drink thrown all over the place and then fights breaking out everywhere when someone gets fed up with the morons who throw pints in the air to land on all around them, so it’s a no from me.

geoffwp

Pete. For a lot of folk the match is a part of a day out with friends. Food and drink will be part of that.

PeteUSA

Pete. For a lot of folk the match is a part of a day out with friends. Food and drink will be part of that.
I know Geoff. I'd assumed that the half-time beer ritual is now very much a part of the matchday experience for some.

Grecian2K

I know Geoff. I'd assumed that the half-time beer ritual is now very much a part of the matchday experience for some.
But not for us "great unwashed" on the BB.

Booger your obsession about the NOG "gap". Looking at the impressive " undercroft" of the new erection one can't help wondering what a long term commercial opportunity the cost cutting in the 90s on the most capacious section of the ground has cost the club?

Oldsmobile-88

I pop into the Centre Spot at HT to check the scores(from the IP stand) a few people have alcoholic drinks in there & outside in Red Square..It’s never very busy.The upstairs bar in Hospitality is very busy though.

STURTZ

I pop into the Centre Spot at HT to check the scores(from the IP stand) a few people have alcoholic drinks in there & outside in Red Square..It’s never very busy.The upstairs bar in Hospitality is very busy though.
I would certainly be up for a half time pint, and was when we had the impromptu bar behind the big bank, it got closed after Bradley Wright Phillipsgate.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would certainly be up for a half time pint, and was when we had the impromptu bar behind the big bank, it got closed after Bradley Wright Phillipsgate.
I don't understand why they can't whack a gate at the end of Stadium Way and allow people from the Bank to use Red Square at half time.