• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Lincoln city not Exeter

Bongo1959

Why do Lincoln have city after there name on BBC sport and not Exeter ?

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
One theory...because there’s a Lincoln United.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Probably just the obsession the BEEB seems to have with the Cowleys ? Or perhaps their dumb journos don't realise that Exeter has a Cathedral too ?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong

Bongo1959

BBC sport front page drop,down league two today

DPR1901

Think Elgin City is right. The explanation, weak though it is, relates to Lincoln United. Slightly annoying when we're referred to as Exeter, though not as bad as when a (non-footballing) friend asked me how Exeter Town were getting on. 'Excuse me!' I spluttered in reply.

Root_Control

One theory...because there’s a Lincoln United.
Correct.

Lincoln United currently play in the Evo Stick League, but have in years gone by have played further up the none league pyramid.

For those of you old enough to remember Bradford (Park Avenue) were simply known as Bradford where as Bradford City, have always been Bradford City.

Last edited:

cambmike

Does this follow through for all clubs - There is a Cambridge City who at one stage were higher than Cambridge United

Bongo1959

But it seems full names are used by the BBC in the premier

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I remember in the 90s or early 2000s when Sky Sports News used to put the table up they would always list us as "Ex'ter" which used to irritate the living daylights out of me given that an apostrophe and an "e" take up more or less the same amount of space.