• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Goal nets

Grecian2

It's probably just me.. but does anyone else not like the current goal nets? i.e. the thick white Sunday league looking things! Much prefer the old red and white checked ones.

Temporarily Exiled

It's probably just me.. but does anyone else not like the current goal nets? i.e. the thick white Sunday league looking things! Much prefer the old red and white checked ones.
Hey, welcome to Exeweb - ignore the curmudgeons.

My theory is it's easier for fans behind the goals / TV cameras if the nets are all one colour, and white is traditional.

Last edited:

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I agree with the nets/visibility theory. I recall back in the 60's, the club had always had regular black nets, which were easy to see through when standing right behind the goal. Then one day, this set of all white nets were installed. You couldnt see bugger all through them! There was a huge space behind each goal because fans could not see through the nets easily! Thats the nets that were used ongoing.

iscalad

Hey, welcome to Exeweb - ignore the curmudgeons.

My theory is it's easier for fans behind the goals / TV cameras if the nets are all one colour, and white is traditional.
Hmm, he joined over 3 years ago. Bit of an odd first post.

Probably right about visibility.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
A quick look on the FA website showed that there's no rules on the colour of the netting so it's just a fashion thing.

STURTZ

I agree with the nets/visibility theory. I recall back in the 60's, the club had always had regular black nets, which were easy to see through when standing right behind the goal. Then one day, this set of all white nets were installed. You couldnt see bugger all through them! There was a huge space behind each goal because fans could not see through the nets easily! Thats the nets that were used ongoing.
The thing with the introduction of white nets was that you could see them move when the ball hit them, it was hard to tell with the black nets.

Always had a problem with the old "back of the net" phrase, surely the ball hits the front of the net?

Stelios

A quick look on the FA website showed that there's no rules on the colour of the netting so it's just a fashion thing.
That would surprise me. I always thought there was some kind of directive because you sometimes hear fans lamenting the lost goal nets/goal posts of the past. Yellow at Carrow Road etc. Weird shaped Ipswich ones (I don't know why I've remembered the East Anglian ones).

Some had loads of extra material that the keeper had to wrestle with to get the ball out. Other where very taut so the ball would sometimes ping back into play.

Maybe just a case of goal post suppliers only offering one type for sale? So no one has a choice?

Temporarily Exiled

Always had a problem with the old "back of the net" phrase, surely the ball hits the front of the net?
This used to be an issue, but from the start of the 1972-73 season, clubs adopted a resolution mandating that nets be hung back to front. This means the front is now the side facing the fans, and the ball only hits the back of the net when going in.

Stelios

This used to be an issue, but from the start of the 1972-73 season, clubs adopted a resolution mandating that nets be hung back to front. This means the front is now the side facing the fans, and the ball only hits the back of the net when going in.
:)

Very true. If you look carefully next time you're at SJP you can see the label sticking out. I always check before kick off.

Jazzi

:)

Very true. If you look carefully next time you're at SJP you can see the label sticking out. I always check before kick off.
You're not the only one, the linesmen check twice a match.