• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What happens if we don't increases attendances after the new Grandstand opens?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
There will be a whole range of costs associated with the match day running of the Stagecoach Adam Stansfield stand (e.g. ticket checkers, stewards, etc). I've no idea if this has been budgeted for, but if all we get is fans moving from one stand to another it won't mean necessarily reduced costs in the IP Office stand.

So, can we get enough extra people in to the ground to make it work financially?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
I know a few people who are looking forward to getting permanent seats for games instead of taking whatever is left in the Doble.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
So, can we get enough extra people in to the ground to make it work financially?
No matter how its put, I dont see how the opening of a new stand will bring in additional support. Former OG patrons will have got used to wherever they've been put, and probably wont mind staying there. I dont see why any ardent City fans will have stayed away from matches during the NOG developement. Proper fans would go to the ground in all winds and weather to support the team. IMHO apart from a couple of dozen showing up out of curiosity, I dont think our attendance will be very different even with the NOG open.

STURTZ

The absence of Steve Perryman must be a good selling point.

Exehausted

No matter how its put, I dont see how the opening of a new stand will bring in additional support. Former OG patrons will have got used to wherever they've been put, and probably wont mind staying there. I dont see why any ardent City fans will have stayed away from matches during the NOG developement. Proper fans would go to the ground in all winds and weather to support the team. IMHO apart from a couple of dozen showing up out of curiosity, I dont think our attendance will be very different even with the NOG open.
I can't agree. The matchday ambassadors reckon that there are a lot of people coming for the first time every match, probably around 150. As the crowds stay about the same, then either none of them come back or some do and others drop out for whatever reason. Also, only around 250 seats have been available to sell per match and most of them are in the least favourable positions, the decent seats are taken by the season ticket holders. I've been told that around 400 S/T's are moving across, although spoonz will be needed to confirm this, so that's another 400 in the Flybe. That means 1200 for sale in the NOG and a lot will be in very good positions. There must be people who have been put off coming or from coming back because they couldn't get a decent seat. I'm sure it'll be the old maxim, build it and they'll come. I would hope at least another 750 people per match can be added by the end of the season, even more if we stay in the top three.

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
Mystified by the Op. We are talking about better facilities and increasing capacity. Yes, perhaps we will get a one or two match bounce from people wanting to see for themselves what the new Stand looks like, but that isn't the point.
The point is that if we are successful on the Park we can increase revenue by being able to accommodate more fans.
We have upgraded our facilities, not just from what the O.G. had to offer (which surely was on the verge of being condemned), but also in The St James Road end. That is progress. Not ideal, but nonetheless essential.

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
Also, please spare me the wise arse comments, concerning the capacity being roughly equivalent before our redevelopment. The fact is, that without it, we would have faced a catastrophic reduction in capacity, for who knows, how long.

Swanaldo

No matter how its put, I dont see how the opening of a new stand will bring in additional support.
Good job you're not the club's commercial manager then.

The OG wasn't exactly an inviting prospect, any potential newcomer approaching the ground from the University/Pennsylvania was previously greeted with a rusty green eyesore, now they will see a smart, welcoming, professional-looking stadium entrance. And if they come and see some attacking football and a 2-0 win they'll be more inclined to come back.

Colesman Ballz

There will be a whole range of costs associated with the match day running of the Stagecoach Adam Stansfield stand (e.g. ticket checkers, stewards, etc). I've no idea if this has been budgeted for, but if all we get is fans moving from one stand to another it won't mean necessarily reduced costs in the IP Office stand.

Surely, in staffing costs it is just a return to the status quo that existed prior to the redevelopment starting ? We have merely had a benefit in with lower costs in the meantime. We have previously reduced costs by closing the away end and placing all visiting fans in the seats, when derisory numbers were expected. We could repeat that, or open just the Barnette part to accommodate those who wished to stand, sharing toilet and catering facilities at the end of the Flybe.

I remember visits to Northampton Town's two sided old home, when they used a corner at the cricket ground. So stands along one end and one side only, with just a rope dividing it from the vast expanse of the rest of the field on the other two, quirky even quaint maybe, but definitely soulless and devoid of atmosphere !

I can't believe that de facto you are suggesting leaving the stands empty, with the tumbleweed blowing through them, that would be seriously tin pot ? I get the feeling that your post, is merely clickbait to counter the effect of the private Facebook forum that one of our members has started for "serious" discussion on all things ECFC, open to invited members only ?

But to revert to your question, I do think that, initially at least, there will be marked increase in attendances, and hopefully the "breath of fresh air" sweeping through the club, coupled with better product offering on the pitch, will enable us to retain a percentage of them, after the initial novelty value has worn off.

I do hope that the Club hasn't "shot itself in the foot" somewhat with it's intention of raising admission throughout the ground after the festive period ? Surely it could have generated more revenue by holding out for compensation from MK Dongs for the value of the remaining six months on Tisdale's contract. That would have been the sound commercial decision, as it would also have had the added benefit of depleting a direct competitors budget ! The rise in prices could have been carried over to next season and justified by the promotion to League 1. UTC.

Last edited:

Exehausted

Surely, in staffing costs it is just a return to the status quo that existed prior to the redevelopment starting ? We have merely had a benefit in with lower costs in the meantime. We have previously reduced costs by closing the away end and placing all visiting fans in the seats, when derisory numbers were expected. We could repeat that, or open just the Barnette part to accommodate those who wished to stand, sharing toilet and catering facilities at the end of the Flybe.

I remember visits to Northampton Town's two sided old home, when they used a corner at the cricket ground. So stands along one end and one side only, with just a rope dividing it from the vast expanse of the rest of the field on the other two, quirky even quaint maybe, but definitely soulless and devoid of atmosphere !

I can't believe that de facto you are suggesting leaving the stands empty, with the tumbleweed blowing through them, that would be seriously tin pot ? I get the feeling that your post, is merely clickbait to counter the effect of the private Facebook forum that one of our members has started for "serious" discussion on all things ECFC, open to invited members only ?

But to revert to your question, I do think that, initially at least, there will be marked increase in attendances, and hopefully the "breath of fresh air" sweeping through the club, coupled with better product offering on the pitch, will enable us to retain a percentage of them, after the initial novelty value has worn off.

I do hope that the Club hasn't "shot itself in the foot" somewhat with it's intention of raising admission throughout the ground after the festive period ? Surely it could have generated more revenue by holding out for compensation from MK Dongs for the value of the remaining six months on Tisdale's contract. That would have been the sound commercial decision, as it would also have had the added benefit of depleting a direct competitors budget ! The rise in prices could have been carried over to next season and justified by the promotion to League 1. UTC.
I agree, it will be a strange thing to do halfway through a season. In my 50+ seasons supporting the club I can never remember a mid-season hike.