• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

"Come on yoooooouu Reeeeeeeeeeds"

Stelios

Does this chant still get used for corners? Always sounded great in the Cowshed. Noticed on Sat it has been replaced by a Native American drumming chant that wouldn't sound out of place at Sandy Park.

Was Hiawatha a Grecian?

The Doctor

This has quietly been annoying me for a few years now. IMO it's a shame that many of the old favourites have been forgotten, possibly intentionally. The red legion does a great job of creating some noise at home games and they were desperately needed when our home form became terminable for several years. So fair play to them for that. All that said, I don't like many of their chants, so won't join in with a lot of them. Nothing better than a lusty, 'Coooommmee onnnnn you reeddss!' for me.

Must be turning into an old fart!

Last edited:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I too must be getting old, I am nostalgic for "Oooh, it's a corner!"

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was always a soft touch for;
'Lets all go feckin mental
Let's all go feckin mental
La la la la
La la la la.

Not quite up to 'bounce' standard but close.

Jazzi

I was always a soft touch for;
'Lets all go feckin mental
Let's all go feckin mental
La la la la
La la la la.

Not quite up to 'bounce' standard but close.
Finally, it all makes sense.

CityTillIDie

Need a good mix of both, a few of the originals seem to be dead! Nothing stopping any of us getting em going again tho is there!!

geoffwp

Finally, it all makes sense.
What's your favourite song/chant then jazzi. Don't tell me you just stand there quiet with your hands in your pockets?

Grecian Max

You can still hear that chant, wings of a sparrow, we hate argyle, oo arr we are Exeter, oh when the reds etc etc, it’s all a bit of a myth that the old songs aren’t sung. What’s happpend is the atmosphere is way more consistent and lasts much longer than it ever used to. They might be sung less in a game but that’s because there’s more variety. I stood in the cowshed, old big big bank, new big bank home and away and IMO our home noise is up there with the best. Everyone’s got their opinion but I prefer the consistency to a song every 20 mins. I remember one game in league one where nothing was sung the entire game.

There’s a different generation now, in 20 years time I’m sure people will be saying “whatever happened to that Stanno song” ;)

Ultimately if you start a chant people tend to join in.

PeteUSA

Do you know, in all the years I've followed Exeter City, I've never ever felt the urge to sing or chant. I've heard it going on with the 'Terry, Terry, give us a wave', but never had the urge to join in. I think its probably a terrace thing, since I cant imagine the money people in the Flybe doing it. Good luck to those who do though, its become clear over the seasons that the RL input is appreciated by the players.

geoffwp

*Starts to rise to the bait but thinks again, take a deep breath, exhails slowly. Zen. It passes.*