• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for West Ham United U21s (EFL Trophy)

Temporarily Exiled

I know very few care about this one, but it makes for a bit of a more interesting 'guess the lineup' thread, seeing as most of the players will be rotated. We need to name a minimum of four 'qualifying players' as starters, but from my reckoning we only have seven players in our squad that wouldn't be considered as 'qualifying' (Hamon, Jay, Oates, Ogbene, Collins, Sparkes, Dean) - so we can essentially name any side we like.

My pick for Tuesday night would be:
Hamon
Oates - Sweeney - O'Hara - Moxey
Collins - Sparkes - Taylor - Ogbene
Abrahams - Jay​

Unfortunately we can't give all of our starters a rest, given injuries in defence - but it should be possible to swap out Sweeney for A. Martin and Moxey for Croll at half-time if fatigue is a concern.

Last edited:

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Interesting. The real restriction is on how many of yesterday’s starting eleven can be rested. Because the team TE suggests only has 2 qualifying players outside that starting line up, then at least two of that eleven,or experienced players coming back, have to play.

In view of the long term injury to Brown, the few weeks injury to Woody and five games in a fortnight I would be reluctant to risk both Sweeney and Moxey - not just for fatigue, but picking up a knock. So I would play Hartridge.

And Jake Taylor has played loads of games too; if fitness/injury permitted, I would consider Forte, Holmes or Lee Martin for a starting place in this game as none of them played ninety minutes yesterday.

Last edited:

Temporarily Exiled

Interesting. The real restriction is on how many of yesterday’s starting eleven can be rested. Because the team TE suggests only has 2 qualifying players outside that starting line up, then at least two of that eleven,or experienced players coming back, have to play.

In view of the long term injury to Brown, the few weeks injury to Woody and five games in a fortnight I would be reluctant to risk both Sweeney and Moxey - not just for fatigue, but picking up a knock. So I would play Hartridge.

And Jake Taylor has played loads of games too; if fitness/injury permitted, I would consider Forte, Holmes or Lee Martin for a starting place in this game as none of them played ninety minutes yesterday.
Of the side I named, Sweeney, Moxey, O'Hara, Taylor and Abrahams all qualify. I believe West Brom and Norwich both have Category 1 academies, which means any loan players qualify under the EFL Trophy rules.

Last edited:

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster

Lee Martin possibly but not sure who else. You can never tell how the juniors from PL Clubs or even Championship, remembering a pre-season friendly with Cardiff when their players were somewhat agricultural in their tackles with one of them resulting in Lee Holmes being put out of action for a number of months, are going to treat the game.

So given our current injury situation in MT’s shoes I would be reluctant to risk anyone whose fitness would be key to our continued success in the league.

andrew p long

Of the side I named, Sweeney, Moxey, O'Hara, Taylor and Abrahams all qualify. I believe West Brom and Norwich both have Category 1 academies, which means any loan players qualify under the EFL Trophy rules.
Yes, I didn’t mean to disagree with that. The problem as I see it is that of the non first team regulars only Abrahams and O’Hara qualify so that any team will need to find two more qualified players and I personally would prefer to avoid playing first teamers who have a heavy schedule .

Red Devon

Yes, I didn’t mean to disagree with that. The problem as I see it is that of the non first team regulars only Abrahams and O’Hara qualify so that any team will need to find two more qualified players and I personally would prefer to avoid playing first teamers who have a heavy schedule .
Who is O’Hara?
Do you mean O’Shea

andrew p long

Who is O’Hara?
Do you mean O’Shea

Oops -Yes, I do! (Actually he was called O’Hara in the OP and in the post I was quoting, so I think I will try to blame that!)

Temporarily Exiled

Who is O’Hara?
Do you mean O’Shea
Yep, no idea who I was thinking of there... Maybe Jamie O'Hara. Dara. Bleh, it's Sunday.

Last edited:

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Dara O'Hara ? Lost me there.

Temporarily Exiled

O'Hara rhymes with Dara, and Dara is O'Shea's first name.