• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cans for City/Silent Soldier

Andy Holloway

I hope that many people will have seen the item on the club website relating to the purchase of a Silent Soldier silhouette. For anyone who hasn't seen it here is a link.

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2018/september/cansforcity/

Cans for City has, in recent seasons also funded the Bench in the Memorial Garden as well as the replacement of some plants in the garden.

This last load of cans taken to the scrappy was a staggering 487.5kg, that is almost 1/2 a tonne, which is very approx 29,000+ empty cans! If they were all beer/lager/cider cans that's some headache! Many thanks to Clive and his ground staff team for transporting the 10 dumpy bags & 7 bin liners, of crushed cans to the scrappy for us.

Thanks to a friend of ECFC at Newbery Metals we receive a very fair price for our cans, this is then used for small projects around SJP that add to the appearance and community feel of the Club and SJP. All monies received are accounted for via the ECFC Accounts Dept.

There are collecting cages both at Stadium Way turnstiles and in Red Square where fans can deposit their Aluminium cans at any time. Hopefully, once the redevelopment is complete, we might also be able to position a collecting cage somewhere around the NOG/Jungle Path entrances as well.

So now comes the appeal, please, please help us to overtake this last total of cans recycled and at least exceed the 1/2 tonne mark next time.

It's quite easy to support Cans for City by bringing your crushed ALUMINIUM cans into SJP the next time you're passing or at a game. In the last year the last of the big suppliers, Pepsi & Carling, have gone over to Aluminium cans for their products and this opens the door for an increase in our collecting. As a simple test to ensure it is an Aluminium can, all you need to do is check the can with a small magnet, if it does not stick then it's ALUMINIUM, if it does it's steel and unfortunately no good to us, but can go into your local authority kerbside collection scheme.
If possible please flatten your cans, stamping on them is very therapeutic for releasing stress!

Fans can also collect from family members as well as neighboroughs and clubs/groups they belong to.

Next time you walk down your street just take a look at how many discarded cans you see, it's frightening and such a waste of valuable work resources.

Andy Holloway

Further to my post above, i have been contacted by a Grecian who has kindly offered to collect any bags of cans fans might have collected from within the Exeter area.
So if you can collect Aluminium drinks cans locally to your home from friends, family or neighboroughs, but are unable to transport them into SJP due to the amount, then please pm me and i will make arrangements to have them collected.