• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Centre back pairing

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Troy Brown has been immense for us, but anyone else think perhaps Martin and Croll might be the best bet going forward? Both a bit more cultured in their approach I think and look more balanced as a pairing? Deano on the left and Sweeney on the right, looks like a very strong L2 back line to me.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wasn't at the game yesterday however Croll has got to do a lot to keep Brown out imho, Brown is generally rock solid, Croll does have the benefit of being left footed.

If they are both fit I'd be picking Brown every day of the week.

Strip out the Lincoln game and we have conceded 5 in 7 so thus far we have generally been good at the back, Pym walked away with the player of the season awards last season, he hasn't been required anywhere near as much this campaign which is obviously pleasing.

Last edited:

STURTZ

There will be injuries, no idea what the back four will be like by the end of the season, nice to have options.

BTW I think Woodman is a better left back than Moxey.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I like Croll but he needs 10-15 consecutive starts if he’s going to prove how good he is.

If Brown is fit, he’s the better option but he’s so often injured I’m not sure he will get back to his best. Aaron Martin is great though and we’re not really missing JMT due to his impressive start.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Brown & Martin all day long, ideally with Sweeney & Moxey to the sides.

tonykellowfan

Moxey has given quite a few goals away though so far this season, 2 yellows and a handball pen in the MK game for example.

Mr Jinx

Moxey has given quite a few goals away though so far this season, 2 yellows and a handball pen in the MK game for example.
Yes, I do wonder if anything has got to his head this season. He's been giving away some silly stuff. Noticed it at Cambridge then he gave away that pen at MK.

Terryhall

Agree that Brown / Martin is our best option in the centre (although also agree that Croll had a great game last Saturday.)

For the left back slot, it'll be horses for courses. Deano is much better at picking a pass (short or long) and does better under pressure - but, has already made a lot of simple errors this season. Woodman doesn't have the same technical ability as Deano and seems less composed under pressure - but, he does the basics well and without careless errors and that means he's probably defending better at the moment. Against the better sides who will press Woodman into making mistakes, Deano is the right choice - but against the sides who will give us more time and space to play, I'd probably pick Woodman on current form.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Noticed it at Cambridge then he gave away that pen at MK.
I thought Deano and Martin were immense at Cambridge.

Brown and Martin for me is our first choice pairing, but Croll I thought was very impressive (albeit at LB) at Fulham.

Mr Jinx

I thought Deano and Martin were immense at Cambridge.
His yellow card at Cambridge was dumb.