• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tim Sherwood calls for lower league teams to become feeder clubs for Premier League

ExeterCityLad

"People don't want to hear this but to accelerate the development of young English players we need to have feeder clubs in League One and League Two. There is enough clubs out there who are willing enough to do it for their clubs, who are dying a slow death and haemorrhaging money. Clubs will be willing to open their arms out to Premier League teams and say 'you can use this club for your young player' but the FA has to allow it to happen."

Thoughts?

Would you be happy to take players off Premier League clubs in return for financial assistance.. Even if it means they get to dictate to us how we play?

Personally, I think Tim is an absolute ****

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11492904/tim-sherwood-calls-for-lower-league-teams-to-become-feeder-clubs-for-premier-league-big-boys

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Failed manager and failed football consultant. Just trying to get his name in the public domain again

dontpassback

Sherwood is a wide boy and what he knows about lower league football,you could write on the back of a stamp,so its a no from me !

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
No thank you - other clubs may jump at this but I don't think it is for us

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Tactics Tim can do one.

Grecian2K

I actually think I'd rather see us at Torquay's current level, but still with our own identity and ethos, that a puppet club for some Premier League distant oligarchs.

Timmy of Sherwood - robbing from the poor to give to the rich!

Totally foul idea. I hope it's given appropriately short shrift by the EFL (but given their track record whenever a few pieces of silver are dangled in their personal direction I'm not holding my breath) :(

Last edited:

Terryhall

It's a good job nobody worth listening to gives two flying ****s what Tim Sherwood thinks.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Forget Tim Sherwood. My fear is that, at some point, this is going to happen.

The "experimental" Checkatrade Trophy format has become permanent, which is exactly what the Premier League, aided and abbetted by the football authorities wanted. The palms of lower league clubs have been greased by the extra money on offer and the same will happen with this. Fans have generally chosen to support it and the games will be on i-follow in any event. What the PL wants, the PL gets. They extract the urine out of L1 and L2 clubs (Ampadu anybody?) and they know they'll get away with it.

It has the potential to change the nature of lower league football completely

Last edited:

Spoonz Red E

Tim Sherwood ..... believes too many young players miss out on the experience of first-team football because leading clubs stockpile players to safeguard their expensive investments.

Oh look.

An elephant.

In the room.

Stelios

Remember 20 years ago when all the lower league clubs press-ganged the new Premier league clubs into buying more and more foreign players at the expense of English players? No, me neither. Do the owners of Chelsea, Wolves or Watford give a crap about nurturing English talent? This is Premier League problem. Except they don't consider it a problem. Which is a problem. So the Football League will chucked a few scraps and told to sort it out.

Forget Tim Sherwood. My fear is that, at some point, this is going to happen.

The "experimental" Checkatrade Trophy format has become permanent, which is exactly what the Premier League, aided and abbetted by the football authorities wanted. The palms of lower league clubs have been greased by the extra money on offer and the same will happen with this. Fans have generally chosen to support it and the games will be on i-follow in any event. What the PL wants, the PL gets. They extract the urine out of L1 and L2 clubs (Ampadu anybody?) and they know they'll get away with it.

It has the potential to change the nature of lower league football completely
I agree. It's creeping in bit by bit.