• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Wingers

Devon_Lad

Playing wingers on their ‘wrong side’, yay or nay? Seems to be a common theme these days with the winger cutting in on their stronger foot. Lee Holmes, for me, struggles with this and looks far more effective on the left wing.

Thoughts?

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Lee Holmes doesn’t look effect no matter where he plays. Couldn’t beat a man even if that man was nailed to the grass.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
There not wingers anymore are they there wide forwards....

I’d personally play Holmes in the no10 role off the front

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
There not wingers anymore are they there wide forwards....

I’d personally play Holmes in the no10 role off the front
Agree that he would be more effective as a no10. Holmes was so deep on Saturday and was so predictable and easy to defend against.

IndoMike

Don't know what it is with Holmes. Is he always carrying a niggle? He should be one of the stars of the show. I'd stick him in the reserves for a couple of weeks so he gets the hint. Pull your finger out, mate!

Stelios

Few finer sights in football than winger skinning their full back down the line and whipping in a cross. If you're good enough it doesn't matter which side you're on (Arjen Robben made a whole career out of "cutting back onto his stronger foot"). But the problem I have with it is that at this level by the time the winger has looked up, cut back onto his stronger foot and floated a cross to the far post the defence has had time to get back and clear it. To me it just slows down play (at this level). Get behind the full back, run down the line, whip a cross in, bang. Anything can happen,

England didn't have a left footer on the pitch for most of the World Cup and I don't think it was positive thing. Young did well but it just slows things down if you have to cut back every time.

BRING BACK PROPER WINGERS!

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
We lack width. Overlapping full backs, wing backs, wide midfielders or wingers we just don't have them.

manc grecian

Doesn't matter what side they play on if your crossing is rubbish. Not sure Holmes has the pace to beat a man on the outside so can understand why he plays on the wrong side.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd be pretty sure a traditional winger's cross from the byeline would suit Stockley best.

Avening Posse

For me, the best times I have seen Holmes is when he has played on the left. As long as they are on form and skilful enough to beat the right/left back I would always play a natural on his natural side. If it is about crossing they will always deliver better with the natural foot. At this level when he is on his game, I think he is plenty good enough