• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for Lincoln City - 1st September 2018

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've liked the look of Stockley and Forte together however I'm presuming Forte is out this weekend so I'd changed things a bit for the visit of Lincoln. I'm also taking it that Troy Brown will be unfit.

My team would be:

Pym

Sweeney Aaron Martin Moxey Woodman

Law

Taylor Boateng

Sparkes Holmes (both playing as out and out wingers and really pushed on, defensively only tracking the full back)

Stockley

Without Forte it gives us the option of bulking up the middle of the park yet having the intention of getting crosses into the box for Stockley, also with Law sitting it gives Taylor and Boateng more freedom to get forward. I would have left Boateng out if Forte was available.

I've picked Sparkes however I don't see Taylor doing the same !!

I'm also expecting a loan signing this week which may throw a spanner in the works.

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I think many of the youngsters will play on Thursday against Rovers in the U23 cup and won't be involved on Saturday.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’d stick to 4-4-2

Pym

Sweeney - Martin A - Moxey - Woodman

Martin L - Taylor - Law - Holmes

Stockley - Abrahams

I know Abrahams was quiet tonight but he’s a much better option than Jay imo and can cause havoc with his physical presence alongside Stockley.

Boateng has been average this season so I’d bench him and want to see Lee Martin on the wing. He seems to be full of running too and along with Holmes we should cause a threat on the flanks. Law can be the ball player and Taylor can do a bit of everything. Collins needs to be on the bench too.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I've liked the look of Stockley and Forte together however I'm presuming Forte is out this weekend so I'd changed things a bit for the visit of Lincoln. I'm also taking it that Troy Brown will be unfit.

My team would be:

Pym

Law

Taylor Boateng

Sparkes Holmes (both playing as out and out wingers and really pushed on, defensively only tracking the full back)

Stockley

Without Forte it gives us the option of bulking up the middle of the park yet having the intention of getting crosses into the box for Stockley, also with Law sitting it gives Taylor and Boateng more freedom to get forward. I would have left Boateng out if Forte was available.

I'm also expecting a loan signing this week which may throw a spanner in the works.
Concerned a bit about about the left hand side of our back four - if I was an opposing manager that's the direction I'd want my players to aim for.
I don't like Law and Boateng playing at the same time and would bench Boateng to give him a kick up the arse.
Laws is wasted as a defensive midfielder in your team : he's a provider of chances and an occasional shooter.
I'd play Abrahams rather than Jay. He's done little wrong and will run for you all day, plus he's a finisher. Gonna ask the Trust to terminate your roller.

LOG

Concerned a bit about about the left hand side of our back four - if I was an opposing manager that's the direction I'd want my players to aim for.
What do you suggest instead?

Avening Posse

My team would be:

Pym

Law

Taylor Boateng

Stockley

I quite like the look of that team and set up as well. My only comment would be I'm keen to see if the natural right back we added in the summer is ready yet ?. I would still keep Sweeney and play him at central defence as I reckon he's decent in that position and maybe stick on of the others on the bench, but if the right back isn't ready I would like to see your team. I want to see a youngster being gradually brought in if good enough, and Sparkes could be the guy

IndoMike

I’d stick to 4-4-2

Pym

Sweeney - Martin A - Moxey - Woodman

Martin L - Taylor - Law - Holmes

Stockley - Abrahams

I know Abrahams was quiet tonight but he’s a much better option than Jay imo and can cause havoc with his physical presence alongside Stockley.

Boateng has been average this season so I’d bench him and want to see Lee Martin on the wing. He seems to be full of running too and along with Holmes we should cause a threat on the flanks. Law can be the ball player and Taylor can do a bit of everything. Collins needs to be on the bench too.
I like your team (especially for home games) and agree totally with your summary.

Last edited:

LOG

I like your team (especially for home games) and agree totally with your summary.
It's still got the same left hand side of our back four, the one that you said you didn't like earlier.

IndoMike

I quite like the look of that team and set up as well. My only comment would be I'm keen to see if the natural right back we added in the summer is ready yet ?. I would still keep Sweeney and play him at central defence as I reckon he's decent in that position and maybe stick on of the others on the bench, but if the right back isn't ready I would like to see your team. I want to see a youngster being gradually brought in if good enough, and Sparkes could be the guy
Be interesting to see if posters think any from Oates, Collins, O'Shea, Hartridge or Sparkes are ready for regular first team football.

Colesman Ballz

Be interesting to see if posters think any from Oates, Collins, O'Shea, Hartridge or Sparkes are ready for regular first team football.
Be a tad difficult to judge Hartridge on this game alone Indo ! ;)