• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

When was the last time?

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
That City faced a team led by a former City manager?

It will happen on Saturday. As far as I can work out, the previous time was after Terry Cooper left in 1991 and we must have played Birmingham the following season. Few City managers go on to better things, let alone another job at the same level.

Bit of a brain teaser for a Thursday.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'd have said so. Gary Peters went on to manage Shrewsbury but that was after they were promoted back to L2, and he was gone the season before we got promoted, so we didn't play them.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
For half a point Paul Buckle left the post of City Assistant Manager in 2007 and moved to the Turkeys in time to guide them to play-off ignominy against us the following season.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
For half a point Paul Buckle left the post of City Assistant Manager in 2007 and moved to the Turkeys in time to guide them to play-off ignominy against us the following season.
There was a similar one more recently than that - Rob Edwards (Tranmere).

ExeterCityLad

There was a similar one more recently than that - Rob Edwards (Tranmere).
What year did we play Rob Edwards when he was at Tranmere? The year they got relegated? I had (Clearly mistakenly) thought he only took over when they were in the national league.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
What year did we play Rob Edwards when he was at Tranmere? The year they got relegated? I had (Clearly mistakenly) thought he only took over when they were in the national league.
No, he took over in the 2014 close season after they were relegated from League 1. We beat them 2-1, he was sacked soon after.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Surely Saturday’s game will be something of a record. How many times has a manager left a Club and then the following season played them again together with probably two players (JMT and Simpson) who had also played for him at the previous Club?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Surely Saturday’s game will be something of a record. How many times has a manager left a Club and then the following season played them again together with probably two players (JMT and Simpson) who had also played for him at the previous Club?
Loads of times, I suspect - it's pretty normal for players to follow a manager to a different club.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Loads of times, I suspect - it's pretty normal for players to follow a manager to a different club.
True I should have been more careful I meant it to refer to just ourselves.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not for the first time you are mistaken. Rob Edwards was at two clubs in that season.First tranmere then Cheltenham as assistant manager. Both got relegated.