• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

St James Park Station and reduced services

Rog H K

Many City fans will now be aware of the reduced services to St James Park Station on Match days when it coincides with a fixture of our sporting neighbours down the track at Sandy Park(Digby or Newcourt).
For a station next to a sporting stadium not being utilised is a travesty in my view. Platform 2 has been deemed an issue due to it's short length that requires front carrage only use, with exit and entrance and therefore viewed a safety issue and time delay on the network with the volumes that use it. GWR therefore now suspends services at this station
for football supporters when fixtures clash and requests them to walk from Exeter Central over a mile away, not ideal for many. This issue will continue indefinatly unless an improvement to the station takes place. I've therefore created a petition to encourage the extension of platform 2 for the benifit of all. Please sign. Thank you.
https://www.change.org/p/network-rail-gwr-ecc-dcc-extend-platform-2-at-st-james-park-exeter

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agree with the petition wholeheartedly, but I fear my location will make my signature irrelevant. However, I think you should ask the local media to lend a hand with this and make sure the local residents are aware in order to get as many signatures as possible.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Have publicised through the Exeweb Twitter account.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Currently at 429 signatures.

iscalad

Currently at 429 signatures.
437 now....

Boyo

I'm sure I read somewhere that Network Rail were already looking at the feasibility of extending the platform.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm sure I read somewhere that Network Rail were already looking at the feasibility of extending the platform.
They have been pretending to do so since at least the early 1970s when I was a regular user.

Of course it's feasible. IMO it's a pretty simple engineering job, just build a retaining wall to the west; I'm not sure any allotment plots would even be lost but at most one or two. But it'd cost a bit of money so some lawyer or accountant probably says it's not worth the bother. If it was in London it'd have been done decades ago.

Avening Posse

Maybe we could suggest we contribute ?

Andy Holloway

Maybe we could suggest we contribute ?
Crowd Funding possibly!

grecIAN Harris

Crowd Funding possibly!
I would have thought we would have done enough crowd funding already with Grecian footfall through the station over the years.