• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

First football kits when you were a kid

GJW

My first was Coventry City home kit 1978, when I was about 10. Best kit ever with the 2 white/blue strips going down the front of the shirt and shorts (admiral made them)
My next one after that was probably England 1982 (ish), white with blue and red across the shoulders. I was about 14.

Out of interest, when did replica kits first get produced and become fashionable?

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
My first was Coventry City home kit 1978, when I was about 10. Best kit ever with the 2 white/blue strips going down the front of the shirt and shorts (admiral made them)
My next one after that was probably England 1982 (ish), white with blue and red across the shoulders. I was about 14.

Out of interest, when did replica kits first get produced and become fashionable?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiral_Sportswear

There was a fascinating documentary made about them a few years ago.

fred binneys head

Ha ha - that was my first kit too! I was living in Coventry - what’s your excuse??

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Brazil Kit I think got no idea how old I was - it was a long time ago

GJW

Ha ha - that was my first kit too! I was living in Coventry - what’s your excuse??
I liked the design and colour of the kit. Simple as that. If I remember they had a reasonable season that year. Followed them ever since. Only started watching Exeter from about 1991 after being in the away end, watching Coventry in a PSF in Exeter. Have been watching more Exeter than Coventry since then. Will be up at the Ricoh with my youngest Daughter to watch them beat Plymouth on Saturday though.

GJW

Must confess to having a Lazio top in 1992 when a certain English player went over there. Used to watch the Italian footy on C4 back then.

GJW

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiral_Sportswear

There was a fascinating documentary made about them a few years ago.
Interesting link. About 1974 then. Before that you would just sew a badge on a coloured top.

IndoMike

John Stocker Junior Boys School, Dunsford Hill, Exeter, 1964. Proud to have worn the shirt and to have been top scorer. Unfortunately the school was burnt down many years later.

fred binneys head

I liked the design and colour of the kit. Simple as that. If I remember they had a reasonable season that year. Followed them ever since. Only started watching Exeter from about 1991 after being in the away end, watching Coventry in a PSF in Exeter. Have been watching more Exeter than Coventry since then. Will be up at the Ricoh with my youngest Daughter to watch them beat Plymouth on Saturday though.
It was 1989, the summer before the championship year. I was there too and remember ripping the **** out of my Coventry supporting mates when I got back home. We were 33-1 to be champions and I told everyone we would win the league. Forgot to put money on at the bookies though.....

mustangspeed2006

1994/95 season kit.