• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Ipswich Town Official Match Day Thread. Rd 1 League Cup 14/8/18

Rog H K

Up for the Cup! Come on City!
Long old poke on a Tuesday night from Suffolk so safe trip all.
I Went the other way 20 years ago this week when we lost 5-1 to Ipswich at Portman Road in this Cup by a different name. I missed last train out of London coming back which was Waterloo back then by seconds with a dozen or so other Grecians. We watched it pull away. Sulked and got back to Exeter at 10am on the 1st train out the next day from Paddington after a long wait around the Hyde Park area waiting for the sunrise. That was fun...NOT!(facepalm). The adventures of watching the Mighty Grecians.:D

Looking forward to this one. Taylor and Hurst said both going for it tonight. Should be a cracker. UTC

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I fear a 1-3 defeat, but a win and no injuries would be cool. Up the Reds//

PeteUSA

I'll do the best I can to get excited about this here cup! It was a low priority last season, so much so that iFollow only provided SOUND commentary. Be sure its not the same this time expats before splashing out the dosh.

Terryhall

Sounds like Ipswich will field a strong side, in which case I think they may have too much for us if we rest players. A cup run would be nice, and keeping the momentum going of our good start would be even better. Should be a good game either way and hope we get a good turnout.

IndoMike

Sounds like Ipswich will field a strong side, in which case I think they may have too much for us if we rest players. A cup run would be nice, and keeping the momentum going of our good start would be even better. Should be a good game either way and hope we get a good turnout.
What d'ya reckon for the attendance, Terry. I'm going with 3000

Avening Posse

Up for the Cup! Come on City!
Long old poke on a Tuesday night from Suffolk so safe trip all.
I Went the other way 20 years ago this week when we lost 5-1 to Ipswich at Portman Road in this Cup by a different name. I missed last train out of London coming back which was Waterloo back then by seconds with a dozen or so other Grecians. We watched it pull away. Sulked and got back to Exeter at 10am on the 1st train out the next day from Paddington after a long wait around the Hyde Park area waiting for the sunrise. That was fun...NOT!(facepalm). The adventures of watching the Mighty Grecians.:D

Looking forward to this one. Taylor and Hurst said both going for it tonight. Should be a cracker. UTC
Although I cannot recall the score, I went to Portman road midweek about 20 years ago as well, so probably the same match !.......hoping for a slightly different outcome this time UTC

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Terryhall

What d'ya reckon for the attendance, Terry. I'm going with 3000
I'd say 3k+ for a Tuesday 1st round cup match would be decent (especially given the home game pending on Saturday which some might prefer if they can only make it to one game this week.)

(now waiting for John W to post and tell me how wrong I am with my attendance expectations :D)

IndoMike

I'd say 3k+ for a Tuesday 1st round cup match would be decent (especially given the home game pending on Saturday which some might prefer if they can only make it to one game this week.)

(now waiting for John W to post and tell me how wrong I am with my attendance expectations :D)
Doubtless he will lord it onto the stage with detailed info from.......somewhere..;)

City 1 Charlton Athletic 2 .... 8 August 2017 Attendance: 2,699 (inc,308, away)
Exeter City 1 Brentford 0 .... 9 August 2016 Attendance: 2,633
City 0 AFC Bournemouth 2 ... 12 AUG 2014 Attendance: 2,648

so anything more than 2700 would be good :)

Last edited: