• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for Ipswich

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Although Matt seems to have settled on his best team it's obvious that there are shortcomings and it's far to early to rule out tweeking the team. we have a number of players that need a proper run out and it might be a good opportunity to give the fringe players a try as well as resting some of our regulars. Also perhaps a chance to experiment with formations.

I'd go;

Pym

Oates
Brown
Martin
Woodman

Tilson

Martin
Taylor
Sparkes

Jay
Abrahams

Oh God I've spelt Ipswich wrong haven't I?

Last edited:

Spoonz Red E

Re: Team for Ipswitch

I'd be surprised if Matt changes too much. Win this and we could get a Premiership club next round.

IndoMike

I'd be surprised if Matt changes too much. Win this and we could get a Premiership club next round.
With our capacity limited a home game against a Premier League team will not bear much financial fruit. An away tie would be better, but crowds are always lower in this competition. Although I hope we can win v Ipswich IMO the league is our priority.

Dubai Grecian

Give the squad a run out, league needs to be our priority

denzel

Of course the league is a priority but a Cup run won't hurt. We weren't affected by our 4 FA Cup games last year.

I hope he plays a strong side as Ipswich won't. A good opportunity.

If anyone is struggling with an injury (Law? ) I'd rest them but otherwise stick with it.

Grecian2K

We weren't affected by our 4 FA Cup games last year.
Not wishing to wind-up here Denz but are you absolutely sure about that assertion.

I suggest that it could be contended that, last season, the NINE points shed (especially the Yeovil ones) during the hiatus between the R3 draw and the undoubted thrill of facing the (then) Premier League Baggies cost us the Autos?

And, if you're not convinced, cast your mind back two seasons where the euphoria of playing the mighty 'Pool resulted in (I believe) the most dismal "festive" period in City's history and most certainly killed the rest of that season (as well as, arguably, "team morale") after The Case of the Mysterious Anfield Team Selection.

Still, at least the latter made us a few bob, from the TV money and the Tommy Nics fee. And, perhaps most importantly, it caused the "scales to start falling" from many supporters eyes regarding our erstwhile "glorious leader" and his chums. So maybe some good came from it.

STURTZ

Of course the league is a priority but a Cup run won't hurt. We weren't affected by our 4 FA Cup games last year.

I hope he plays a strong side as Ipswich won't. A good opportunity.

If anyone is struggling with an injury (Law? ) I'd rest them but otherwise stick with it.
Who's saying the team I picked is a weakened side? They're all squad players and will play first team football this season. Just because the players featured aren't all not eing picked now doesn't mean they wont be first choice by the end of the season. What was Jordan Storey doing this time last season?

scottus86

Yeah, I'd give some squad players a chance to prove they deserve a starting place.

Pym, Brown, A.Martin, Taylor, Law and Stockley, when fit, are always going to be on the team sheet. The rest are interchangrable.

Forte, Holmes, Sweeney, and Moxey must all be quite tired so I would rest them. Boateng has blown hot and cold so may benefit from coming off the bench later on. I think after Jay's preseason he deserves a chance in this game.

I'd probably go for something like

Pym
Oates
A.Martin
Brown
Woodman

Taylor
Tilson
L.Martin

Abrahams
Stockley
Jay

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yeah, I'd give some squad players a chance to prove they deserve a starting place.

Pym, Brown, A.Martin, Taylor, Law and Stockley, when fit, are always going to be on the team sheet. The rest are interchangrable.

Forte, Holmes, Sweeney, and Moxey must all be quite tired so I would rest them. Boateng has blown hot and cold so may benefit from coming off the bench later on. I think after Jay's preseason he deserves a chance in this game.

I'd probably go for something like

Pym
Oates
A.Martin
Brown
Woodman

Taylor
Tilson
L.Martin

Abrahams
Stockley
Jay
I cannot see us playing three up top against a Championship side.

I can see Holmes being rested though, he's looking as fit as I've seen him however I'd rather we rested him up for Newport.

Last edited:

CC

I'm sure Lee Martin (ex-Ipswich) and Abrahams (Norwich loanee) will be right up for this one.