• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Women

Temporarily Exiled

Facebook | Twitter

I looked for a general thread about the Exeter City Ladies side, but couldn't find one. A little information about the side for the uninitiated:
ECLFC play their home games in Cullompton, and are currently in the South West Women's Football League (SWWFL) Premier Division, finishing 4th last season in a 12-team league. It's a pretty volatile division, with the top two sides being promoted and the bottom two being relegated – but the Ladies will be hoping to build on what was a decent season last term.

The draw for the preliminary and the first qualifying round for the Women's FA Cup has been made, and ECLFC will kick-off their Women's FA Cup campaign this year away at Callington Town, and if victorious will host Frome Town. We haven't made it to the competition proper since the 2014–15 season – and with a preliminary round and three qualifying rounds to get through just to reach round one, it won't be easy.

If you don't fancy travelling to Callington, you can see the final pre-season friendly (against Keynsham Town) at 3 PM tomorrow at the Cliff Hill Training Ground, for FREE!

Does anybody on here follow the women's side?

Last edited:

Saint James

What do you mean by It's a pretty volatile division?

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
What do you mean by It's a pretty volatile division?
I guess he means that 1/3rd of the teams change every season.

Temporarily Exiled

The Ladies' season kicked-off on Sunday with an FA Women's Cup preliminary round fixture away against newly-promoted Callington Town. Showing the men how it's done, ECLFC came back from 2–1 down to win 2–5, scoring four second-half goals.

Match report.

Next up in the cup are Frome, this Sunday (02/09) at 2 PM. We're home for this one – tickets are a quid, and it's being played at Exwick Sports Hub (EX4).

Temporarily Exiled

Feeling down about the Lincoln match? The Ladies' 5-0 win over Frome Town may help wash those blues away. First-half goals from Jana Richards, Georgie Barbour-Gresham (2), Sian Chapman and Zoe Watkins ensured an extremely comfortable victory for City, securing a second-round qualifying match against Keynsham Town Development LFC.

Match report.

Last edited:

whiff

Thanks for posting these updates. I find the women's pyramid totally baffling but am I right in thinking the first two cup games were against teams from lower divisions but that Keynsham Town Development LFC are in the same division.

Temporarily Exiled

Thanks for posting these updates. I find the women's pyramid totally baffling but am I right in thinking the first two cup games were against teams from lower divisions but that Keynsham Town Development LFC are in the same division.
Frome Town finished bottom in the South West Women's Football League (SWWFL) Eastern Division last season, and will play in the Wiltshire County Womens & Girls League Division 1 next season. I think that puts them two steps below Exeter - we're playing in the SWWFL Premier Division. However, the team we beat in the preliminary round, Callington Town, are in the same division as us (promoted from the SWWFL Western Division last season).

The horrendous division names make things a little more difficult to follow, but that's pretty standard for lower-tier football. It's hopefully a pretty good sign that we beat Callington in the cup, though we'll have to wait until Sunday for our first test in the league - away at Middlezoy. As for the FA Cup, we played Keynsham Town Development in our final pre-season friendly and lost - but there have been a few additions since then - hopefully they can make the difference.

whiff

Thanks for the reply; hopefully a few other people on here are interested as well.

uletai2

I follow them on their Twitter page (https://twitter.com/ExeterCityLFC). We are City fans living in Scotland so don't get to see City that much (Carlisle is good!). I coach my 13 year old daughter's football team. She would like to play for City Ladies one day and is a bit annoyed we don't live down there!

I do wish the club would do more to promote them. Agree re above comments re pyramid system / league structure - so hard to follow.

PeterF

Their FB page can be found here, it's kept up to date on a regular basis <

https://www.facebook.com/ExeterCityLFC/?hc_ref=ART7_FlLmJWNur8Av2J3wCUvBeLKEFykJaNS2LKzCUtCTlp8bbvliHYiQLRj1-tymZU&fref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARAj-_SQr9mNArcGBh3kwKQa-sdU_cBmf46QfL7l5B75U0DGT9m7Fg1e5zAkB5BlSCWc9OzS7mGmzIhkmCcnjLVizZhdduaI7yIlukEUi0uyVEY68-SWFcsC9PCvbUMWwJeTD8htpb8ZU3YXTBLfrmcKubwb1IrJetodo01oWi--_OemK4J76N_2GNoQYn4Xby6OepkKHLpXB2Ifs0MMrGj2Qy7ItlX9lcuDrj-H&__tn__=kC-R