• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

VAR - In our league: Yay or Nay?

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
We've all had a months-worth of seeing the advantages (or disadvantages!) of VAR. Would a system such as that work in the english leagues, more notably the lower leagues? I'm sure the Premier League will be all over it, but could it work at a lower level? Could there be a pitchside setup where the referee could look at a questionable 'big decision'? Unfortunately a mockery was made of it in the WC Final with the referee taking an eternity to arrive at an awful conclusion re: that penalty. That said though, I thought the system was pretty good in general, with it being used to arrive at probably 95-98% accuracy. Would it work in some form in our league though?

Last edited:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not enough cameras. The view from the elevated single camera on the halfway line is often misleading.

PL ok, they have around 18 cameras IIRC.

Grecian2K

Quite right John.

Now, if only they'd taken Pate's advice and extended the NOG the full length of the pitch.....sigh

#opportunitiesmissed

PeteUSA

Now, if only they'd taken Pate's advice and extended the NOG the full length of the pitch.....sigh.
Quite right G2. There's nowhere beyond the centre circle where the cameras could be put without them getting rained on! ;)

ECFC89

NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY.

Football was fine before. Decision even themselves out.

Spoonz Red E

I was against VAR at the start but have been won over - we may still take issue with the ref's judgement after the VAR process but at least it is a considered judgement. It was a tough call for the ref today because the hand was brought downwards into the path of the ball so the call had to be intent or unavoidable contact. Without VAR the decision would have been argued about by pundits for yonks with the ref praise or pilloried for a split second call.

I wouldn't go for VAR at our level although the standard of refereeing at League 2 has always been extremely, ahem, variable.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
No never I hope

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
It will be throughout the whole of proffesional football eventually. It will take some time yet though before we see it in the lower leagues

Alistair20000

You cannot stop the onward march of technology but as JW says not enough cameras yet at our level.

Antony Moxey

Too expensive. The number of cameras needed and the staff needed to set up, monitor, maintain and operate would make it prohibitive I would think. Plus L2 isn’t under the media scrutiny that the PL is so there isn’t as much microscopic analysis of the officials’ performances or, for the most part, any way for the fans to properly assess officials’ performances so any mistakes we think they might have made generally aren’t as contentious.

It’s a no for me: too expensive and unnecessary.