• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The City! Love train

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Wondering if this tactic could work for us with corners this season...quality delivery from Holmes, Stockley and Sweeney at the front of the train followed by Brown and Forte in theory it looks a good idea!

JRFowler

Wondering if this tactic could work for us with corners this season...quality delivery from Holmes, Stockley and Sweeney at the front of the train followed by Brown and Forte in theory it looks a good idea!
It worked a treat for England at the world cup. Needs to be practiced on the training ground. Would be great to see city try it. Delivery and big lads in the box is a must

Red Devon

It worked a treat for England at the world cup. Needs to be practiced on the training ground. Would be great to see city try it. Delivery and big lads in the box is a must
That’s what I was thinking we seem to have players for it.

Grecian2K

Does that involve people all over the box joining hands?

And do The Laws of Football permit that?

sidney

It has always struck me that many corners are missed by everyone. It really needs an attacker at the far post who times his run on the assumption that no-one will touch the ball. This requires quite a lot of discipline, as it is natural to try and anticipate a deflection. But deflections are of course unpredictable so this tactic rarely works. Much better to work on the basis that one in ten corners sail through untouched, and time your run accordingly.

malcolms

I have no idea why the defending team gets involved....Wimbledon did it years ago....just play zone and attack the ball..

robchave

Surely, the big thing is not to be predictable. I'd like to see more 'training-ground' moves, short corners, near-post, back-post. Just so the opposition don't know what's coming next.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Set pieces are all about the delivery.

The other players can be doing anything but it doesn't matter if the ball in is poor.

England were good at set pieces because the balls in from Trippier were generally top quality.

Last edited: