• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gate Committee Report 2017/18

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Only a small drop in the average gate, which considering we were a two-sided ground is not bad

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2018/july/homeattendances18/

Notable that, amongst the self-congratulation & tortuous prose, no comment is offered about a whole season of competing for automatic promotion had apparently little or no positive impact on attendances.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Notable that, amongst the self-congratulation & tortuous prose, no comment is offered about a whole season of competing for automatic promotion had apparently little or no positive impact on attendances.
I've just read the link.

Can you point me to the 'self-congratulation'?

Alistair20000

Wot Spoonz said. It reads as a factual report to me.

David Treharne

I'd just observe that this is a thankless and difficult task to undertake, and the report reads well considering the number of variables that are involved. I'd also add that this was something that was never (knowingly) attempted by the pre-Trust regime, and as such deserves thanks and appreciation inasmuch as it attempts to plot in a realistic way, one of the major sources of income for the Club and thus helps budgeting. Forecasting is a notoriously difficult area (ask George Osborne).

elginCity

I'd rather ask Mystic Meg, but well done the Gates team once again, they're becoming rather good at this forecasting malarkey.

It's going to be interesting going forward whether the new improved away end facilities impacts in any significant way on numbers, assuming somebody keeps such stats. I guess this could take a little time, but hopefully it will reap dividends eventually. I remember deciding on a midweek return to Daggers on the strength of their good facilities from a previous visit.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
With mention of the new stands having a couple of games with cut down capacity initially and that they hoped by end of October the capacity would be back to the max of over 8500(8695 I believe), then that would possibly make Stevenage on October 2 and Swindon on October 13 being the first two with it open with forest green on October 27 being the first with full capacity?

Would be good if they could press on and get it ready for Cheltenham on Sep 22 but they obviously need to get the work done properly.

Oldsmobile-88

Interesting figures..I always look at the home support numbers,that is obviously the real gauge of how things are going with on field performance & admission pricing.
3,780 is a fairly mediocre return for following a team that finished 4th in the Division & who were in with a shout for automatic promotion until the last couple of weeks.

The OG being redeveloped would have had a minor impact on home crowd numbers.

Let’s hope the new management/era can bring back a bit of interest to the many floating supporters that seems to be around the city & surrouding area

Last edited:

Stelios

I like to sit. I'm bad at planning ahead. I would have gone a few more times last season with friends/family but decent tickets for IP stand were sold out or almost sold out for every match and you had to book a few weeks ahead. I liked just turning up at the OG when I felt like it.

I imagine I'm a nightmare for forecasters because I don't even know what games I'll be going to, let alone a gate forecaster.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting figures..I always look at the home support numbers,that is obviously the real gauge of how things are going with on field performance & admission pricing.
3,780 is a fairly mediocre return for following a team that finished 4th in the Division & who were in with a shout for automatic promotion until the last couple of weeks.

The OG being redeveloped would have had a minor impact on home crowd numbers.

Let’s hope the new management/era can bring back a bit of interest to the many floating supporters that seems to be around the city & surrouding area
Agree completely with your last paragraph. Of the average home crowd there are different faces every game and the regular fans probably do number about 5000 but many, for varying reasons, don't attend every match. If however the fanbase was galvanized and excited by the prospect of attending then people would feel more motivated to go. Lincoln City are a good example of what happens when optimism rules. Sadly in recent times, and despite two years of promotion pushes, many of our fans haven't felt the pull of the place and attendances haven't risen as they might have.

Really hope that the gaffer puts the feel-good back. A full house in our posh new stadium right behind a promotion chasing team, how good would that be ?