• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Stuttering run ups to penalties - Legal now?

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm totally baffled at some of the approach antics to the ball by the takers in the WC. Kasper had an excellent point v Croatia when in my mind he rightly appealed to the officials re: the first goal of the shootout. I know the law about the run-ups was tinkered with a while back, but is a player allowed to go as far as to send the keeper the wrong way by feigning to shoot then placing the ball the other side? That penalty, amongst many others in the tournament was surely questionable, since John Aldridge invented the concept many moons ago. Are any british commentators explaining the latest ruling cos' some of the kicks allowed are a joke IMHO!

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Just enjoy it Pete

Number13

You can stutter but not stop is how I understand the rule to be

Of course, like anything else, there will be a judgement on what "stop" means................

But Kasper is no follower of the rules, he was off his line before the ball was struck which he also should be called up for.............

Grecian2K

Ye-ye-ye-ye-yes. They cer-cer-cer-tainly see-see-seem to be.

Antony Moxey

The ironic thing about Schmeichel's protest was that he was about two yards off his line by the time the penalty was taken. However, as far as I'm aware stuttering run ups have always been allowed, you're just not allowed to stop, which no-one did from either side in either of the shoot outs last night.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
The ironic thing about Schmeichel's protest was that he was about two yards off his line by the time the penalty was taken. However, as far as I'm aware stuttering run ups have always been allowed, you're just not allowed to stop, which no-one did from either side in either of the shoot outs last night.
Exactly and does the taker get any benefit from a stuttering run up? Surely he has lost the momentum to drive in a blistering shot beating the keeper with pace. The only possible advantage it could possibly give is if by doing so the keeper has been fooled into committing himself before the ball is kicked.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just hope England are practising taking pens, we've learned the hard way.

Colesman Ballz

Just hope England are practising taking pens, we've learned the hard way.
Well at least the manager has first hand experience, and one would hope, should make sure we are well prepared !

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
I'm totally baffled at some of the approach antics to the ball by the takers in the WC.
Aren't you a qualified ref ?

You tell us mere mortals the rules ! Or try this www.Gianni Infantino@a$$holesofworldfootballwhodontgivea$hiite.com

Grecian2K

I'm with Mr Moxey on this one!!!

Not a word from our resident Guru of Glovesmanship about the antics of (both) keepers...in the takers' faces and then prancing up and down and back and forth like Billy Elliot on stimulants while the kick was being taken.

How strange? Care to comment, Pate??