• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City - How much will it cost to be a sustainable League One Club?

Saint James

Browsing at the Gas heads forum to see what is being said about Tom Nichols and found this interesting article about how much money clubs in League One are having to find annually just to be competitive. It shows that Rovers lost £1.3M, MK Dons lost £2.8M and two clubs ran up losses of over £13M. Rovers accumulated borrowings are now £8.6M, Chesterfield £9.2M (not done them much good), MK Dons £8.5M et al. The amounts are eye watering and show jus how far we have to go to become competitive let alone sustainable?

http://gasheads.org/thread/7515/borrowed-losses-june-2017

Doug3101

Re: Exeter City - How much will it cost to be a sustaimable League One Club?

Browsing at the Gas heads forum to see what is being said about Tom Nichols and found this interesting article about how much money clubs in League One are having to find annually just to be competitive. It shows that Rovers lost £1.3M, MK Dons lost £2.8M and two clubs ran up losses of over £13M. Rovers accumulated borrowings are now £8.6M, Chesterfield £9.2M (not done them much good), MK Dons £8.5M et al. The amounts are eye watering and show jus how far we have to go to become competitive let alone sustainable?

http://gasheads.org/thread/7515/borrowed-losses-june-2017
Seeing as we now have a PSF with them on the 28th July (TT now Fri 27th) should we waive our cut of the gate

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster

Being very naive, I've never understood how the level of debt you are in dictates how competitive you are.

Only in football.....

manc grecian

Isn't this just a list of teams who've wasted loads of money.

Antony Moxey

The two posts above are all you need to read on this thread.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster

Seeing as we now have a PSF with them on the 28th July (TT now Fri 27th) should we waive our cut of the gate ��
Probably part of the Tom Nichols deal ;)

PeteUSA

Being very naive, I've never understood how the level of debt you are in dictates how competitive you are. .....
It beats me too! That said, all I care about is how much we're in debt, and are we anywhere near sustainable?

malcolms

It beats me too! That said, all I care about is how much we're in debt, and are we anywhere near sustainable?
Pete, it's been well documented that the club has very little debt once you discount the money that is owed to the Supporters Trust...Sustainability is a different question, and you would need to set the parameters of what you aim to achieve to answer that question..

PeteUSA

Pete, it's been well documented that the club has very little debt once you discount the money that is owed to the Supporters Trust....
Thanks Malc. One point on the above though; I asked about the money the club took (apparently without permission) 2/3 days ago, and somebody replied that the loan had been treated as a gift, and wasnt therefore repayable. Nothing new I know, but I'm totally confused. I thought it was a loan, which the club should repay, since they're currently awash with money, so to speak.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
About 800k is a loan. A while back it was changed to a donation. We were told it was so we could use more money for playing budget to fit in with the maximum 55% of turnover financial fair play rules, but I can't say I ever believed that.