• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

WC 2026 Canada, Mexico, USA

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Biggest ever with 80 games

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Do all three get automatic qualification ?

Antony Moxey

Do all three get automatic qualification ?
No, although it is to be discussed. Bit disappointing really, that'll be two WCs the USA has had since we had one, and why the need to share? I think multiple country bids shouldn't be considered. Also, 80 games is ridiculous, soon we won't need qualifying tournaments as everyone will be at the finals anyway.

StroudGrecian

Can see the logic in awarding it to North America - FIFA will need guaranteed problem-free delivery in 2026 after whatever happens in Qatar, and that ain't Morocco - but like Ant I am somewhat mystified by the joint nature of the bid, particularly as 2 of those countries have already held it successfully* on their own.

*assuming you measure 'success' fairly loosely, in the case of Mexico.

Last edited:

Red Devon

*assuming you measure 'success' fairly loosely, in the case of Mexico.
1986 Mexico was one of the best World Cups ever despite the misfortune that came Englands way...the Mexicans are so enthusiastic and passionate about their football and created a fabulous atmosphere that was so noticeable just watching on the TV.....not sure the Americans and Canadians will achieve that though.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Road trip! :)

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Please don't let any games take place in Arizona ............ He'll be going on the pitch with his zimmer telling the ref's and goalies what they are doing wrong !!

ecfc70

Very strange, 48 teams playing from sea level to altitude every few days.
Can't see any issue with the 3 host s having auto qualification, I would imagine if they are expanding the totals then the concacaf will have a couple more than the 3 they have now, however Jamaica, Honduras, Costa Rica, etc might be a tad miffed if there are fewer places to actually qualify for

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I think although the expansion to 48 looks ridiculous, it might be a simple one off knockout match at the start for 32 sides to eliminate 16 of them before the normal 8 groups of 4. That would fit the increase of games from 64 to 80 but would mean only the top ranked 16 would be guaranteed three matches.

England would hopefully just fall within those top seedings, but the sides normally in pots 3 and 4 for the group stage could be going home quick with one loss.

Schedule will play havoc with sleep as well, a number of late night matches from my memory of 86 and 94.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure did we submit a bid for this one?