• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Another nail in the FACUP Coffin.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
So in order to facilitate a mini winter break for the Premiershi**, the FA are moving the FA CUP 5th Round to midweek, and scrapping replays ! The world's greatest Cup Competition being further devalued, and another step towards downgrading it to a midweek competition. No thought for the fans whatsoever ! :mad:

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Absolutely agree always pandering to the powers that be makes me angry and probably why I don't watch any premiership football anymore.
Wouldn't surprise me in years to come that we will have the 'Premiership FA Cup'.

Whatever happened to Grass Roots :mad:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Richard Scudamore departing with a massive FU to the fans. Nice.

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
So in order to facilitate a mini winter break for the Premiershi**, the FA are moving the FA CUP 5th Round to midweek, and scrapping replays ! The world's greatest Cup Competition being further devalued, and another step towards downgrading it to a midweek competition. No thought for the fans whatsoever ! :mad:
Totally agree.

This all started with the London-centric FA allowing Spurs and Arsenal to play their a semi-final at Wembley back in the 90s. Then the rot set in, compounded by the Premiersh** swimming in money.

I think it was Scudamore who was on a 5 Live phone-in asking for suggestions as to how to bring back the magic of the FA Cup whilst flatly refusing to even even contemplate the changes made by him and his cronies were in fact to blame

Banksy

Absolutely agree always pandering to the powers that be makes me angry and probably why I don't watch any premiership football anymore.
Wouldn't surprise me in years to come that we will have the 'Premiership FA Cup'.

Whatever happened to Grass Roots :mad:
Can't even be bothered with England in the World Cup anymore.Time was when I watched every game avidly , now I don't give a ....

DB9

With the FA Cup i use to and still do think that Premier League teams who rested players is disrespectful to the fans who pay a lot of money to go to those games and to the opposition especially if they are a lower league team, Now i have noticed even teams in Championship do the same in recent seasons. The days of the FA Cup being THE competition have long gone and will never come back, Those days when you had Cup Final Mastermind, It's a Knockout etc were great, Sat in front of the TV from midday till the game started and as the great, late Brian Moore use to say You could always go on holiday in the UK on final day because it was always so hot.

Now though in recent seasons gone are the 3pm kick off and even playing the final before the season had even finished!

Stelios

I do love the FA Cup but midweek evening games can have better atmospheres? Friday night for Liverpool was pretty epic.

All replays will soon be scrapped. They get in the way of mid season trips to Dubai............

Hate the way even championship sides are now resting players for the FA Cup. Even mid table Prem sides not in danger of relegation are doing it. It's frightening how they do not give a toss about cup football. Can't just blame foreign owners/managers/players not 'getting' the Cup because Steve Coppell was doing it years ago at Reading (still got relegated...). Eddie Howe does it too. He played a weak side against Millwall. Bournemouth lost and then went on a terrible winless run. Was it worth it?

Don't get me started on teams like Villa who used to (proudly) qualify for Europe. But as soon as they were in it they play weak teams to rest their players for the weekend league game.....

Oldsmobile-88

The FA sold their soul at the high alter of TV monies long ago...Clubs(including ours) scrabble around for the crumbs.

I preferred the days when the only FA Cup games were highlights on MOTD or the Big Match.The amount of live FA Cup
games on TV now is getting boring especially with the amount of hype on TV & Radio leading up to games.
When Fylde played Wigan last season,you would have thought Barcelona were making a appearance by the amount of hype & nonsense from the national broadcaster leading up to the game.

IndoMike

A beautiful competition which everyone got excited about being brought to its knees by people in suits who don't care about football. Started with playing semi-finals at Wembley, devaluing the glory of playing in an FA Cup Final at Wembley.

Spoonz Red E

It was once a fantastic competition which every FA registered club in the country could participate in.
It wasn't just about the winning of it - it was the chance to play once in a lifetime games and make a bit of club history, to get a real financial break off of a good run and a great day at Wembley at the end of it all - not just for the supporters of the finalists either (I remember being in a pub in Nottingham when Coventry won and they went mad).

Scudamore is a brand pimp who has played a big part in this destruction and made a personal fortune out of it. He's created an environment where the only way to keep the top clubs interested in the competition is to offer better prize money and lessen the intrusion into their other marketing ventures.

Still ... aren't the TV ads wonderful?

Last edited: