Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 94

Thread: The Pace of change quickens

  1. #21
    Spoonz Red E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    On the table
    Posts
    5,394

    Re: The Pace of change quickens

    I don't see the logic in what you are saying Pete.

    Christie picked up 6 different awards at the end of season do.

    Unless you're assuming that coaching has had no impact on his progress I think it suggests Mel Gwynett hasn't been doing too bad of a job.

    It was also Mel who helped Paul Jones break down and rebuild his technique during his first stint with us.
    Jones then won Player of the Year and ended up playing for teams higher up the leagues.
    Last edited by Spoonz Red E; 05 June 2018 at 02:11.

  2. #22
    Antony Moxey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Exmuff
    Posts
    39,444

    Re: The Pace of change quickens

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonz Red E View Post
    I don't see the logic in what you are saying Pete.
    No-one has ever thought - let alone written - that in the history of Exeweb ever.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Avondale (Near Phoenix) Arizona, USA.
    Posts
    16,236

    Re: The Pace of change quickens

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonz Red E View Post
    I don't see the logic in what you are saying Pete. Christy picked up 6 different awards at the end of season do.

    Unless you're assuming that coaching has had no impact on his progress I think it suggests Mel Gwynett hasn't been doing too bad of a job.

    It was also Mel who helped Paul Jones break down and rebuild his technique during his first stint with us. Jones then won Player of the Year and ended up playing for teams higher up the leagues.
    All good points Mike, I understand your viewpoint. Nearly every club in the land seems to have a dedicated GK coach, particularly in the higher leagues. I subscribe to that old saying: A good goalkeeper is born, not made. I firmly believe that to be true. Quite frankly I dont think Pym is any better now than he was when he got a first team call-up. I think throughout the seasons that he's played through his mistakes until he's made the same mistakes less and less. Last season he was almost faultless, and to me the only major fault he has left is his habit of coming off his line towards a forward feet first. He should be going down at a players feet by spreading his entire body across a forwards path not just the width of his shins. The latter means an open invitation for an opportunist to slot the ball past him with ease. Hes persistantly come off his line in that way, which tells me that Gwinnett isn't correcting him. That suggests to me that Gwinnett never had that aspect of his game buttoned up either. Either way, Pym is well beyond the point where he needs to be told what to do anymore. On his own he'll do just fine, as Jonah did later in his career.

  4. #24

    Re: The Pace of change quickens

    Quote Originally Posted by Stelios View Post
    Doesn't Brunty have skills in this regard?

  5. #25
    muppetdodger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,140

    Re: The Pace of change quickens

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteUSA View Post
    All good points Mike, I understand your viewpoint. Nearly every club in the land seems to have a dedicated GK coach, particularly in the higher leagues. I subscribe to that old saying: A good goalkeeper is born, not made. I firmly believe that to be true. Quite frankly I dont think Pym is any better now than he was when he got a first team call-up. I think throughout the seasons that he's played through his mistakes until he's made the same mistakes less and less. Last season he was almost faultless, and to me the only major fault he has left is his habit of coming off his line towards a forward feet first. He should be going down at a players feet by spreading his entire body across a forwards path not just the width of his shins. The latter means an open invitation for an opportunist to slot the ball past him with ease. Hes persistantly come off his line in that way, which tells me that Gwinnett isn't correcting him. That suggests to me that Gwinnett never had that aspect of his game buttoned up either. Either way, Pym is well beyond the point where he needs to be told what to do anymore. On his own he'll do just fine, as Jonah did later in his career.
    Pym is way better now than he was when he first broke the first team. Utter rubbish to say he isn't

  6. #26
    tonykellowfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Fingers uncrossed and looking forward to next season!
    Posts
    1,853

    Re: The Pace of change quickens

    It would be stupid to lose someone of the ability of Mel Gwynett.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Avondale (Near Phoenix) Arizona, USA.
    Posts
    16,236

    Re: The Pace of change quickens

    Quote Originally Posted by muppetdodger View Post
    Pym is way better now than he was when he first broke the first team. Utter rubbish to say he
    isn't
    Read what I said again; at least up to the point where I said 'Last season he was almost faultless'. It will come out as utter rubbish if you're going to pick a chunk right out of the middle!

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Avondale (Near Phoenix) Arizona, USA.
    Posts
    16,236

    Re: The Pace of change quickens

    Quote Originally Posted by tonykellowfan View Post
    It would be stupid to lose someone of the ability of Mel Gwynett.
    I dont suppose theres any doubting Gwinnetts credentials, although I dont know how the level of his ability is a provable fact. Back to my point though; IMHO I dont think Pym needs a full-time dedicated coach anymore.

  9. #29
    muppetdodger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,140

    Re: The Pace of change quickens

    Quote Originally Posted by tavyred View Post
    Doesn't Brunty have skills in this regard?
    Would be very surprised if he isn't involved in this in some way, but they have to advertise and interview for the post.

  10. #30
    grecian-near-hell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cornwood
    Posts
    1,051

    Re: The Pace of change quickens

    Quote Originally Posted by muppetdodger View Post
    Would be very surprised if he isn't involved in this in some way, but they have to advertise and interview for the post.
    Hmmm a player/strength and conditioning coach? Interesting. I do note that they would like (desireable) someone with a MSc which surely would cost, unless combined with another role ........?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •