• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Which goal has contributed most to the colourful history of ECFC?

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I believe there is one stand out candidate but will be interested to see what others think.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Deano vs Doncaster.

A goal which (with help a little later from Mr Cascarino) probably saved our club!!! (Wasn't too shabby a strike either)

Last edited:

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Was hoping someone might have come with another but yes Deano’s against Doncaster which put us in the bag for ball 64 I think from memory but not really sure.

I can still see it now Deano shooting from just over the halfway line and the bemused Donny keeper as it sailed over his head into the back of the net in front of the Big Bank.

Grecian2K

Sorry Sexton. :(

Mind you Sir Robert of Edward's little nod in at Wemberley deserves honourable mention too...got us back where we belong.

grecIAN Harris

Rob Edwards versus Cambridge at Wembley. It rescued us from the hell hole that was The Conference.

Red Bill

I think this could be the shoes thread ever. What could be more important than a goal that saved the club. Has to be Moxey's v Donny!

IndoMike

Alan Banks goal against MU, so we were actually beating the MU of George Best, Bobby Charlton et al for several minutes... 21,000 crowd.

IndoMike

Deano's goal probably the most important, though we didn't know it at the time

Grecian2K

I'd actually prefer Lord Banks's goal at Colchester in the previous round that set your choice up, Mike...early strike then 80+ minutes of grimly hanging on in one of the coldest places on the planet. (Well, it certainly felt like it at the time)

grecIAN Harris

My head is shot because I should be asleep so I can't remember who got the winner against Scarborough, Tom Kelly or Richard Young, to clinch our only Divisional title.