• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Did Tisdale pick a team to lose?

felix

A few of my City mates are expressing the view that there was "known" unrest at management/board level in the past few weeks/months and as a result Tisfail's comittment to the play-off final was "questionable".

They are saying the starting 11, the tactics (hoof it to Stockley), the subs (James???, Edwards when all was lost) all point to this.

BTW you were no more carp at Wembley than we were against Wimbledon so not point scoring, just find it hard to believe that a manager would operate like this but one of your lot on Facebook (Phil Miller?) is saying SP before the match expressed "eloquently" what him and his mate thought of the club.

Couldn't be true, could it?

haka

Obviously not.

Let's pretend Tisdale didn't care about the club or players (which is nonsense, but let's play with your premise). If all he cared about was his own future, he would still want City to win, so he could go to MK Dons and say "See what I can do, now increase your offer". Or wait for a better one from other manager-less clubs.

His bargaining power and value goes up with a win, not with defeat. Simple.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't think he did, in fact I think Tisdale really wanted to win that, not that he would have stayed, I believe he was going to go win or lose. To leave with a promotion team would have looked great on his C.V. and really have rubbed the doubters noses in it.

Played all season with a drab style, winning the majority of games by one goal, keeping it tight and relying on percentages and basically playing nearer to route one than we have ever been, it hasn't been a great season for the fans. But we were in the top seven for most of the season. This season was supposed to end with a glorious and embarrassing victory, instead its just another season in league 2.

Why would deliberately blowing promotion be of any benefit to Tisdale's ambitions?

Last edited:

Alistair20000

I don't think he did, in fact I think Tisdale really wanted to win that, not that he would have stayed, I believe he was going to go win or lose. To leave with a promotion team would have looked great on his C.V. and really have rubbed the doubters noses in it.

Played all season with a drab style, winning the majority of games by one goal, keeping it tight and relying on percentages and basically playing nearer to route one than we have ever been, it hasn't been a great season for the fans. But we were in the top seven for most of the season. This season was supposed to end with a glorious and embarrassing victory, instead its just another season in league 2.

Why would deliberately blowing promotion be of any benefit to Tisdale's ambitions?
Nail on head. The Cheese would have loved to have departed having secured promotion. Would have underscored the two fingers gesture and would have stoked up the media misinformation: “stupid Exeter fans sack promotion winning manager.”

felix

All of what you say sounds logical until we factor in that this is Tisdale.

Ambitions?

Here is a guy who, allegedly, wasn't inspired to pursue interests from Southampton, Swansea and others; even the most ardent Tisdale supporter admits he's a bit "odd".

MK Dons? How ambitious is that?

Even admitted himself that winning matches was only 3rd on his list of priorities.

A better way to get back at ECFC (fans and trust) that walking out after taking them up is to leave them in league 2, leave and (in his mind?) no successor.

Just a talking point but not as ridiculous as some may think.

Antony Moxey

Of course it’s ridiculous. We’ll never know how bothered he was about the defeat or what effect, if any, it had on his final decision regarding his new contract but to suggest he deliberately set the team up to lose is about as stupid a suggestion as I think I’ve ever heard.

Grecian2K

Of course he did Pussycat....just like your dear Morticia did at Scunthorpe (because he'd already booked a cheap deal on an early summer holiday and they didn't do refunds)

felix

Of course he did Pussycat....just like your dear Morticia did at Scunthorpe (because he'd already booked a cheap deal on an early summer holiday and they didn't do refunds)
Thank you.

See someone agrees with me.

The only explanation for our Scunthorpe defeat was Adams manufactured it cos he didn't want promotion.

But thinking about it Tisdale didn't need to do that cos he knew how carp you were.

Good luck next season, quite like the look of Taylor, think he might be a good one.

Number13

And even if all the above rubbish was true, once the players got on the pitch, they would have tried their best to win regardless of what the manager, who they knew was leaving, had said

The fact is that Cov were better on the day, scored two worldies and a lucky deflection and that our "big" players from the semi didn't appear to turn up, much as Watkins didn't last year

That's football, that's L2 football especially and that's life

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oh I dunno maybe felix has got something here. If true perhaps it's possible that Tisdale picked a team to try to win league games 24 times last season.