• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New signings: what do we need?

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd say we are missing a first choice winger or two and someone to partner stockley up front.

We look sorted for center backs now that jordan storey has come through.

Could maybe do with a new right wing back though.

---------------------------pym------------------
New RB------JMT----TAH-----moxey----
-----------------------tilson--------------------------
----boateng-------taylor---------new winger
--------------stockley----new FW------------

---------------------------pym------------------
New RB------storey----brown-----moxey
New winger--boateng--taylor--new winger
----------------stockley----new FW------------

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
A lot will depend on the retained list. I was assuming McAlinden was a gonner but now I’m not so sure as Taylor may want to use him.

We definitely need another right back to replace Wilson and we also need more width, but we could see Sparkes get a chance too. Personally I hope James goes and we can sign a better midfielder (wouldn’t be hard) and we need a more proven striker alongside Stockley.

scottus86

Aanything wrong with Sweeney?

Sparkes can fill one of those winger positions. However I"d have a front three of Jay, Stockley and Sparkes for our first friendly to see how they work together.

There is the option of three at the back though and a kinda 3-3-2-2 formation as well as traditional 4-4-2.

That depends on whether Moxey can cut it as a wing back/overlap role anymore and whether we got a suitable LWB/LB that to duplicate this on the other side.
I'm thinking...

Pym
JMT - Storey - Brown
LB - Tilson Moxey
Boateng Taylor
Stockley - FW

Probably be slated to this idea but that formation give flexiblity going forward too i think.
I'd like to keep McAlinden too actually but if losing him allows better new forward i'd sacrifice him. Jay has something different about him maybe he be more effective in the hole behind in diamond midfield for 4-4-2 diamond.

Last edited:

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Aanything wrong with Sweeney
Absolutely not, just stupidly forgot to include him! Loves the Sweeney I does.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think Pym more than showed he's our automatic first choice GK, I'm assuming he doesnt want away. He will no doubt have been watched, and while he was easily our Player of the Season, I dont know if any big clubs will come a running though. Another season with us would benefit all concerned IMHO, although I suspect Jonah will want away.

tavyred

Watching the current playing squad possibly performing free from the tactical straight-jacket of Tisdale’s negativity, will be akin to a whole raft of new signings.

PeteUSA

Having a manager driving down the M5 from Chippenham (sometimes in peak traffic) to take charge of things got my goat. Hopefully the new man lives local, or will do if he doesnt. The same applies to players; they weren't allowed to live away from the city in bygone times. Its open to abuse no matter what anyone says.

LDNGrecian

Having a manager driving down the M5 from Chippenham (sometimes in peak traffic) to take charge of things got my goat. Hopefully the new man lives local, or will do if he doesnt. The same applies to players; they weren't allowed to live away from the city in bygone times. Its open to abuse no matter what anyone says.
Do you think people should be banned from commuting for other jobs?
And if we did I’d enforce a rule of living within 30 mins (or equivalent) wouldn’t more players just say ‘screw that I’ll stay around Bristol/M5 corridor thank you very much.’

manc grecian

Striker
2nd right back
Couple of centre mids
Back up left back
Sparked on the bench.