• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is Wembley boring?

Stelios

Right, had to get this off my chest.

ECFC never made it to the original Wembley. On our first visit to the 'new' Wembley we took 30,000 odd And lost. 3 visits later and we're down to 11,000. So I'm guessing the 19,000 odd are family/friends/part timers who've seen it once and thought that was enough thank you, I can't be arsed to see go again.

Do the playoffs for Leagues 1 and 2 need re-jigging? There are loads of large grounds all around the country now that could easily host a playoff final. Or, why not have another 2 leg home and away final? Do we need a Wembley showpiece? It just seems like a massive hassle that lots of people can do without?

Cov had 40,000 odd but they hadn't been promoted since the 1960s!

4 visits in 10 years is too much for a club of our size, isn't it?

Last edited:

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
I could have just about coped with the wembley overkill, the boredom and the travelling ... if we'd won.

Ashford Grecian

Have to say had a very enjoyable day out in the sunshine, never get bored of Wembley

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
11,000 was a very disappointing number imho, we should have taken at least 20,000, general lack of interest at the moment ?

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Do the playoffs for Leagues 1 and 2 need re-jigging? There are loads of large grounds all around the country now that could easily host a playoff final. Or, why not have another 2 leg home and away final? Do we need a Wembley showpiece? It just seems like a massive hassle that lots of people can do without? Coventry had 40,000 odd but they hadn't been promoted since the 1960s!
Boy, you should get some mileage with this thread! Anyway on topic, I think all the playoffs being at Wembley Stadium is a must. I think its a reward in itself for the clubs getting there. Coventry have a population 3+ times greater than us, and they've always been a predominently football city as far back as I can remember.

contrabombarde

This was my first visit and I was awestruck. I really loved it ....until just after half time after when it all went tits up. The noise from that Coventry lot when they scored will haunt me forever. I hate the place.

Last edited:
Wembley has lost its appeal for me which is ridiculous to say as an Exeter fan but we have been spoilt by getting there 4 times (credit to Tisdale here). It has only been half full once so I do think an alternative venue could be found but you still need to have at least 50k available for instances such as Monday when one club takes 40k.

Personally I would prefer a home and away final or take it to a new ground each year (Emirates, OT, Etihad, Anfield etc).

PeteUSA

This was my first visit and I was awestruck. I really loved it ....until just after half time after when it all went tits up. The noise from that Coventry lot when they scored will haunt me forever. I hate the place.
Regarding awstruck, the old Wembley was the place for that! Having watched those twin towers fast approaching, and ultimately going through a walkway, and there it was! Hell I'll never forget it! It was totally overpowering! I went there several times for International Football, the World Speedway Final, and various concerts including Michael Jackson (I know, instant jealousy!) and I always loved the place.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
If it went to another crowd it would probably reduce the number going further still. I quite like the idea of a home and away final however.

I think Wembley is a great stadium but the prices are far too high for games that are unlikely to get anywhere near a sell out.

Grecian Max

Awful stadium. Far too shallow and built for corporate fans and gigs. Hate it there. Haven’t enjoyed any of my visits including the Cambridge one (bar the result).