• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Retained list / squad for 2017/2018

rifraf

I would think given we narrowly missed out on automatic promotion that not too many changes need to be made. Three obvious binnages spring to mind: James, Hamon and Seaborne then after that it’ll be personal preferences but I don’t think we need to be too drastic with the ins and outs.
Agree pretty much with this - though fear Simpson and McAlinden's time are also up.

Also, would like to see some signings giving meaningful support for Stockley; some (no, a lot more) width and pace going forward; and a good/quality replacement for James (Boateng standard).

Will be not too far away at the end of next season IF we keep the main cadre otherwise. Automatic...… no more Wembleys please (how many supporters in other clubs would say that?!!

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Also, would like to see some signings giving meaningful support for Stockley; some (no, a lot more) width and pace going forward; and a good/quality replacement for James (Boateng standard).
By far the biggest priority. He was not happy yesterday and quite rightly so.

Tisdale indicated at the start of the season that he missed out on some players on deadline day and I'd think they would have been in this area.

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would think given we narrowly missed out on automatic promotion that not too many changes need to be made. Three obvious binnages spring to mind: James, Hamon and Seaborne then after that it’ll be personal preferences but I don’t think we need to be too drastic with the ins and outs.
ant i think were gonna lose one of our top 3 defnders brown our capt or storey ,, thats an if, even so i still reckon seaborne could b worth a punt,he defo CANT be expensive, missin a pre season and no club for ?? mnths WILL take its toll but is get over-able and wasnt SO long ago he was a championship[ player given all worth another season imo,

Grecian_Nick

Agreed - but on the arrivals front we MUST strengthen the strike force. Stockley needs support - both a regular partner to start and options from the bench. I have been a big a Matt Jay fan but he just hasn’t been able to turn potential and skill into what we need - the lack of options upfront was so obvious yesterday when we were chasing the game.

Also - at risk of splitting options - I can’t believe the number of posters who would let Tillson go. Yes he is never going to be a creative be genius or play wonder passes but he protects the front of the defence so well and fills in to allows others in the back 4 to go forward.

Number13

Players out of contract include: Hamon; Woodman: TAH; Seaborne; James; Harley; Byrne; Simpson; Brunt; McCallindon; and the 1st year pro's.

Releasing all the above would both lose some deadwood and free up budget for some better quality signings in the right positions who will actually play

Think in the "moaning about Tisdale" discussions, his paying of loan players not to play and long term crocks who will never be good enough doesn't get enough airtime. Dread to think how much we have wasted...............

Number13

Just waiting for the news that David Noble has signed for us again.
He was at Wembley................. ;-)

muppetdodger

Agree pretty much with this - though fear Simpson and McAlinden's time are also up.

Will be not too far away at the end of next season IF we keep the main cadre otherwise. Automatic...… no more Wembleys please (how many supporters in other clubs would say that?!!
Ironic that Reid left because tisdale wouldn't play him ahead of Macca, and as soon as he left Macca couldn't get in the side and stockers was left all on his own. Another example of Tisdales poor man management skills and stubbornness

He was at Wembley................. ;-)
Please don't tell me that! I am genuinely worried now.

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agreed - but on the arrivals front we MUST strengthen the strike force. Stockley needs support - both a regular partner to start and options from the bench. I have been a big a Matt Jay fan but he just hasn’t been able to turn potential and skill into what we need - the lack of options upfront was so obvious yesterday when we were chasing the game.

Also - at risk of splitting options - I can’t believe the number of posters who would let Tillson go. Yes he is never going to be a creative be genius or play wonder passes but he protects the front of the defence so well and fills in to allows others in the back 4 to go forward.
Still think matty jay will come good.. he just needs a bit of luck..sayng that how long can we wait .

Edit holding middies are and always have been targets for scorn.. going way bac to veron argubly one of the best ever .

Last edited:

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Still think matty jay will come good.. he just needs a bit of luck..sayng that how long can we wait .
What he needs is a proper run of starts to truly show what he can do. He’s looked decent in flashes but he’d then be on the bench for 3 games following a decent performance.

Football is a lot about partnerships...I think you need a consistent strike pairing just as much as you need a consistent defensive lineup.