• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New Manager's Job Description

Boyo

If the MK rumours are true, it looks like Tis is off to pastures new. I'd be fascinated to see the job description for his replacement.

In a very simplistic view there are two priorities for the new manager. 1) First team results. 2) Generating our own players that we can sell for profit.

On occasion those two priorities are going to be directly competing with each other. In a crude example, in order to give a couple of developing players first team exposure, you have to risk dropping points. My query therefore is what level of emphasis should the job description place of each element? Too much focus on immediate results could lead to a shortage of transfer income in 3-5 years. Conversely, too much focus on developing players could result in short team struggles on the pitch.

On a related point, does our model give us the opportunity to ever be anything more than a L2 Club, with the occasional foray into L1?

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
If the MK rumours are true, it looks like Tis is off to pastures new. I'd be fascinated to see the job description for his replacement.

In a very simplistic view there are two priorities for the new manager. 1) First team results. 2) Generating our own players that we can sell for profit.

On occasion those two priorities are going to be directly competing with each other. In a crude example, in order to give a couple of developing players first team exposure, you have to risk dropping points. My query therefore is what level of emphasis should the job description place of each element? Too much focus on immediate results could lead to a shortage of transfer income in 3-5 years. Conversely, too much focus on developing players could result in short team struggles on the pitch.

On a related point, does our model give us the opportunity to ever be anything more than a L2 Club, with the occasional foray into L1?

Not unless we can find a way to boost our membership and therefore incoming funds, to 5000 minimum.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think the predominant requirement for any future ECFC manager is a high level of financial competence.
Running the club in a financially prudent manner should be the number one objective for the manager.

Red Bill

Not unless we can find a way to boost our membership and therefore incoming funds, to 5000 minimum.
Or develop off field commercial opportunities and make more of what we've got

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think the predominant requirement for any future ECFC manager is a high level of financial competence.
Running the club in a financially prudent manner should be the number one objective for the manager.
But isn't that the territory of the Club board and, in particular, the club's finance director? The first team coach/manager is given £X at the start of any season as agreed by the CB (with input from the manager). The manager surely only needs to be willing and able to work within those parameters.*

Consequently I don't see the need for a manager to have "a high level of financial competence" as his number one objective.

Andy Holloway

But isn't that the territory of the Club board and, in particular, the club's finance director? The first team coach/manager is given £X at the start of any season as agreed by the CB (with input from the manager). The manager surely only needs to be willing and able to work within those parameters.*

Consequently I don't see the need for a manager to have "a high level of financial competence" as his number one objective.
Totally agree Pete, the only 'high level of financial competence' he needs is, if he's given £Xm in his playing budget, that he only spends £Xm and not £Xm + £Y +£Z!

How much money we make from pasty sales, or the price of a pint in Red Square are totally irrelevant to the 'Job Description' of a FOOTBALL Manager.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
...does our model give us the opportunity to ever be anything more than a L2 Club, with the occasional foray into L1?
As succinctly put to me by Lou Marcari who went through the Swindon phone directory to find a RJS D****. He took an exception to my remark that he only offered a middling amount for City's Martin Ling so as to influence the outcome of the transfer tribunal.

Boyo

An extra 2,000 members paying the minimum amount would generate less than £50k / year. That’s a drop in the ocean in terms of our finances.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
An extra 2,000 members paying the minimum amount would generate less than £50k / year. That’s a drop in the ocean in terms of our finances.
Precisely. If the Trust wants to bankroll a promotion push, or even help someone else to bankroll one, it should be looking to invest some of its capital into a business venture that, in years to come, would generate a six-figure sum as a bare minimum. Of course, I appreciate that's easier said than done but with a little ingenuity I don't believe it's beyond the realms of impossibility.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tisdale took us to the brink of administration a few years ago, only recently have we had a very good period in terms of the financial side of the club.