• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is our academy one of the best in country?

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
This was claimed on Twitter and Coventry fan jumped in calling it laughable because we are not in top two cats. Claimed he had never heard of ampadu or wheeler and assumed all our players mentioned were just kids.

Had a bit of fun discussing this with him, he came up with a list of their players who have come from academy which have a few decent names like Callum Wilson and James Maddison and Cyrus Christie although they weren't league two then. Someone else jumped in saying how many appearances the players they had produced had made, talking about them having six academy players in the play off semis and stating they can't hold out for big fees due to their ownership.

They might have a decent academy but in my view a cat one or two academy should produce more than a cat three.

Came up with Pym Moore Taylor friend storey ampadu seaborne Moxey Tillson Bennet goss frear grimes sercombe Jay Nichols Watkins. 16 players who have made approaching 3000 appearances and got us maybe over 7m in fees. Seven of these may well be in the eighteen on Monday.

Have I missed anyone? I think our numbers stack up well .

Last edited:

LDNGrecian

Re: Is our academy on of the best in country?

Tillson isn't from the academy

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.

Tillson isn't from the academy
Fair point.

Ok taking him out think you could get a very good match day squad of academy graduates , maybe add in sparkes and a couple other youngsters for the bench (from Byrne, Jamie Reid, gosling, maybe) . Possibly weak on the right but a side which could do well in league one, if not higher. Watkins, ampadu, friend have that quality, and a few other either have played or could play in top two leagues.

Last edited:

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

I think one of the reasons we have produced so many is that we give young players a real chance to play regular games. People can say what they want about Tisdale, but to be fair, he’s played youngsters when many managers would have gone for experience. A great example is when we lost the 2007 final and Billy Jones left for Crewe and we assumed that we’d replace him with a new player. Instead he gives Moxey and Friend the chance to play and the rest is history.

The academy is now something to be truly proud of and whoever succeeds Tisdale must follow the same line of thinking. I suspect bigger clubs, with cat 1 and 2 academies will sometimes be more reluctant to trust the youth if they stand to lose millions from a relegation out of the premier league....

PeteUSA

The academy is now something to be truly proud of and whoever succeeds Tisdale must follow the same line of thinking. I suspect bigger clubs, with cat 1 and 2 academies will sometimes be more reluctant to trust the youth if they stand to lose millions from a relegation out of the premier league....
One shouldnt lose sight of the fact that Tisdale himself hasnt followed the academy "line of thinking", for over 50% of his managerial tenure, prefering instead to sign joke journeymen like Parkin and Clinton Morrison. Fancy playing Morrison ahead of Nicholls in that Anfield replay, when Nicholls was on fire? No wonder the boy wanted away. It seems to me that Tisdale is taking far too much credit for the academy, which he never utilised in a big way.

Well-known Exeweb poster

One shouldnt lose sight of the fact that Tisdale himself hasnt followed the academy "line of thinking", for over 50% of his managerial tenure, prefering instead to sign joke journeymen like Parkin and Clinton Morrison. Fancy playing Morrison ahead of Nicholls in that Anfield replay, when Nicholls was on fire? No wonder the boy wanted away. It seems to me that Tisdale is taking far too much credit for the academy, which he never utilised in a big way.
Nonsence pete pt has always used the youth system and in general extremely effectively, amps , grimes, ollie, players pt gave their debuts have all gone on and brought in substancial funds give me another manager that has got similar returns from a yoof set up ?and as for nichols.. VASTLY over rated striker imo but didnt tis give him his debut? hasnt he constantly backed pym over others? and hasnt he just given a starting spot to a youth player over arguably, until recently, one of the best cbs in the division? and yes there isnt a doubt that our youth set up is THE most prolific certainly in our division if not in the whole football lge . And tis sits at the head of the decision making process, so to say he doesnt use the youth system or' follow it' without making a song and dance... 90 % of your post is just ill thought out rubbish

denzel

What do we need to do to be Cat 2? Or do we want to stay as we are anyway?

Fareham Grecian

90 % of your post is just ill thought out rubbish
Bondy, meet Pete :)

Terryhall

I think the cat 1/2/3/4 criteria are largely a tick box exercise.

If I remember correctly to move to the next category would be a big jump in the annual budget and specific youth staff such as physios but I could be wrong on that.

In any event I agree with the OP that, certainly for a club of our size and budget, we have one of the best run academies in the country.

Not only the players that come through to our first team and elsewhere, but also the fact that our youth teams consistently punch above their weight in the various youth competitions, including against cat 1 and 2 academy sides.

Antony Moxey

Isn't it the case, or very nearly so, that we've made more money from the last two transfer windows than the rest of L2 put together? I wonder what Coventry's contribution to that L2 pot was.