• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Single use plastic

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sky and the Premier League have an initiative to inspire clubs to remove single use plastics. The new White Hart Lane will be the first stadium to have a total ban on their use. Are we doing the same as a conscientious, community club ?

Two new stands with accompanying food retail outlets would be an ideal opportunity to introduce this. There's not really any need to bang on about the environmental benefits to be gained from adopting this policy but it would earn smartie points for the club too.

Thoughts ?

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don't be a silly billy. I we did that we'd only take 3-4000 to Wembley ;)

IndoMike

I'n sure I read somewhere that the Govt, is going to ban single-use plastic.

Andy Holloway

Sky and the Premier League have an initiative to inspire clubs to remove single use plastics. The new White Hart Lane will be the first stadium to have a total ban on their use. Are we doing the same as a conscientious, community club ?

Two new stands with accompanying food retail outlets would be an ideal opportunity to introduce this. There's not really any need to bang on about the environmental benefits to be gained from adopting this policy but it would earn smartie points for the club too.

Thoughts ?
It can only work if INDUSTRY follows suit and produces items in suitable containers/wrappings, that are hygienic and cost effective, without this the whole 'initiative' is 'dead in the water'!

We currently recycle about 65/70% of our plastic drinks bottles through ECC and what escapes goes into general rubbish bins that go to Coastal Waste who use them for 'Energy from Waste' through the Exeter Incinerator.
As to your suggestion that 'two new stands would be an ideal opportunity to introduce this', well what about the other two stands and the function suites, do they not count?

While 'Green' initiatives are very laudable, and we ALL should be doing our bit to save the planet, ECFC's waste plastic is 100% 'reused', either recycled or burnt, it's the bottle dropped on the beach or thrown from your car, or the throw away McDonalds box that really needs addressing.

By the way, what are 'smartie points' and how much cash do they bring to the club, because the 'bottom line' for any business is finance!!!

Andy Holloway

I'n sure I read somewhere that the Govt, is going to ban single-use plastic.
By 2030 or something similar!

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
They want to eradicate plastic waste by 2042 and supermarkets reckon they can also crack it by 2025. I would think ECFC could make a good start this year.

IndoMike

By 2030 or something similar!
I must agree that the Govt. announcing something will be done and actually doing it might be two different things

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
It can only work if INDUSTRY follows suit and produces items in suitable containers/wrappings, that are hygienic and cost effective, without this the whole 'initiative' is 'dead in the water'!

We currently recycle about 65/70% of our plastic drinks bottles through ECC and what escapes goes into general rubbish bins that go to Coastal Waste who use them for 'Energy from Waste' through the Exeter Incinerator.
As to your suggestion that 'two new stands would be an ideal opportunity to introduce this', well what about the other two stands and the function suites, do they not count?

While 'Green' initiatives are very laudable, and we ALL should be doing our bit to save the planet, ECFC's waste plastic is 100% 'reused', either recycled or burnt, it's the bottle dropped on the beach or thrown from your car, or the throw away McDonalds box that really needs addressing.

By the way, what are 'smartie points' and how much cash do they bring to the club, because the 'bottom line' for any business is finance!!!
Negative Andy, very negative. What could be wrong with doing our bit ? It's not all about cash it's about doing things the right way, there's no financial gain in clearing up our crud from our dugout. Can't see why you've entered the thread with your sleeves rolled up.

IndoMike

Seriously, chewing gum needs to be banned, too. Some kind of plastic thingy is involved in its manufacture and tonnes and tonnes of it are disposed of all over the place. In Singapore it's banned, and quite right, too.

Last edited:

Spoonz Red E

Seriously, chewing gum needs to be banned, too. Some kind of plastic thingy is involved in its manufacture and tonnes and tonnes of it are disposed of all over the place. In Singapore it's banned, and quite right, too.
Until it is - I quite liked this from a few years ago.
https://inspiringcity.com/2014/04/18/the-chewing-gum-man-paints-a-trail-of-400-mini-artworks-on-the-millenium-bridge/