• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The 'Who will we be playing' match day thread

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Notts County take on Coventry City tonight at Meadow Lane. All square from the first leg at 1-1.

I don't think I'm too fussed about who we meet at Wembley.

Terryhall

Same here, we've nothing to fear from either of them. (Biased opinion alert) - we've been the better team of the 4 sides of the playoffs and we deserve to get promoted. If we play at Wembley like we have done all season, and like we did last night by all accounts, we'll be in with a great shout.

Onwards and upwards #greciansasone

haka

Hope it's County. We've already had two games with the wrong lot singing "City", we don't need another. (Yes, I'm easily confused, be kind).

eurogrecian

Not bothered.

We will be determined to put right what happened last year, whoever the opposition.

Helpfully, on their forums, both sets of fans seem to think that if they beat the other, then winning at Wembley will be a formality. That should suit us nicely.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I'd probably prefer to face Notts County, but either will be tough oppo, as you might expect.

CWH-NYC_

Not fussed, good thing about today is that one can follow the game and at least let the nails grow back and the heart rate to settle down.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not fussed, good thing about today is that one can follow the game and at least let the nails grow back and the heart rate to settle down.
Think i'd prefer County, but...who knows? Think we'll beat either of them, anyway. Lucky enough to be at the old Wembley when Coventry beat Spurs 3-2 in FA Cup Final. Incredible atmosphere and great game. Can't remember if SP was in that game. Always remember Greavesy wanted Coventry to win and not his old team cos John Sill was his mate.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Think i'd prefer County, but...who knows? Think we'll beat either of them, anyway. Lucky enough to be at the old Wembley when Coventry beat Spurs 3-2 in FA Cup Final. Incredible atmosphere and great game. Can't remember if SP was in that game. Always remember Greavesy wanted Coventry to win and not his old team cos John Sill was his mate.
No, he'd left by then. Chris Hughton was RB in that game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_FA_Cup_Final

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I *think* Perryman was Brentford manager by then - I'll check.

Yep - appointed Brentford Player/Manager in Feb 1987 (joined from Oxford).

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
No, he'd left by then. Chris Hughton was RB in that game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_FA_Cup_Final
To be honest, JW, I think SP was a busy midfielder. But I'm pretty sure Waddle played on the wing for Spurs. I was relatively close to the touchline and remember how good he was at getting past a defender.