• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter 15th in average League 2 wages

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The website footy.com have compiled the average weekly wage for each club, below is the link for League 2. This puts us 15th, though that could be a reflection of how many youngsters we have in the squad. I've no idea how they compiled this data.

https://www.footy.com/footballers-vs-the-fans/#efl-league-two

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Surprised that no has commented on this.

Interesting that Accrington finished top but are bottom in this table.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just goes to prove..Money isn't everything.

Temporarily Exiled

I just can't see how they'd actually have good data for this, maybe it's compiled using Football Manager guesstimates or something like that? I think that's why people aren't biting.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I just can't see how they'd actually have good data for this, maybe it's compiled using Football Manager guesstimates or something like that? I think that's why people aren't biting.
This. While some of them look plausible, there are some which I really don't buy at all.

Boyo

This. While some of them look plausible, there are some which I really don't buy at all.
It broadly looks in line with what I would have expected.

It is of course a measure of average wage, rather than playing budget. We have a relatively large squad this year, whereas someone like FGR have a small one (I think). Although their average is higher, I suspect that our overall budget is comparable, or even higher.

If we really are 15th however it does put a different spin on coming 4th. Additionally, we are in a year of boosted budget due to past windfall income, so it's scary to think where we would be ranked without that addition injection of cash.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It broadly looks in line with what I would have expected.

It is of course a measure of average wage, rather than playing budget. We have a relatively large squad this year, whereas someone like FGR have a small one (I think). Although their average is higher, I suspect that our overall budget is comparable, or even higher.

If we really are 15th however it does put a different spin on coming 4th. Additionally, we are in a year of boosted budget due to past windfall income, so it's scary to think where we would be ranked without that addition injection of cash.
Forest Green's squad isn't particularly small (they used 35 players in the FL this season compared with, you only have to look at their accumulated losses to know their budget overall is massive.

Accrington's budget (and therefore allied to average spend) will have been on the lower side of the division but certainly not lowest. Incidentally they also used more players than us despite their strong run to the finish coinciding with a very settled side.

My inference would be on each:

Accrington: Too low
Barnet: Too low
Cambridge: Slightly too low
Carlisle: Probably pretty close
Cheltenham: Yeah
Chesterfield: About right
Colchester: A bit too high
Coventry: Too low
Crawley: About right
Crewe: About right
Exeter: About right
FGR: About right
Grimsby: About right
Lincoln: A bit higher than I'd have though
Luton: About right
Mansfield: Possibly a bit low
Morecambe: A bit high
Newport: About right
Notts County: About right
Port Vale: Too low
Stevenage: Too high
Swindon: About right
Wycombe: A bit low
Yeovil: A bit high

Boyo

Forest Green's squad isn't particularly small (they used 35 players in the FL this season compared with, you only have to look at their accumulated losses to know their budget overall is massive.

Accrington's budget (and therefore allied to average spend) will have been on the lower side of the division but certainly not lowest. Incidentally they also used more players than us despite their strong run to the finish coinciding with a very settled side.

My inference would be on each:

Accrington: Too low
Barnet: Too low
Cambridge: Slightly too low
Carlisle: Probably pretty close
Cheltenham: Yeah
Chesterfield: About right
Colchester: A bit too high
Coventry: Too low
Crawley: About right
Crewe: About right
Exeter: About right
FGR: About right
Grimsby: About right
Lincoln: A bit higher than I'd have though
Luton: About right
Mansfield: Possibly a bit low
Morecambe: A bit high
Newport: About right
Notts County: About right
Port Vale: Too low
Stevenage: Too high
Swindon: About right
Wycombe: A bit low
Yeovil: A bit high
Apparently the data came from Football Manager. So may as well have been made up.

Red Bill

I reckon this is a load of old doodoos! A lot of guesswork probably based on dividing playing budget (as per published accounts) by the squad. Can you actually do that or are managers, coaches salaries included? I've no idea to be honest but it looks like fans' gossip valuations to me!

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I reckon this is a load of old doodoos! A lot of guesswork probably based on dividing playing budget (as per published accounts) by the squad. Can you actually do that or are managers, coaches salaries included? I've no idea to be honest but it looks like fans' gossip valuations to me!
Pretty much on the nail. If the true players wages (P1) budgets and actuals were known for all clubs and calculated on the same basis this might have some legs but I can't see how that can be the case. Many budgets are also changed over the course of the season with January moves in and out, salary increases for players who have made the grade as first teamers, loans etc. One suspect these arithmetical averages are pretty meaningless anyway, hiding a range from "star" players on decent money to youngsters on not much more than minimum wage.