Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exeter 15th in average League 2 wages

Exeter 15th in average League 2 wages

The website footy.com have compiled the average weekly wage for each club, below is the link for League 2. This puts us 15th, though that could be a reflection of how many youngsters we have in the squad. I've no idea how they compiled this data.

https://www.footy.com/footballers-vs...efl-league-two
    Last edited by Hants_red; 14 May 2018 at 21:03.

Re: Exeter 15th in average League 2 wages

Surprised that no has commented on this.

Interesting that Accrington finished top but are bottom in this table.

Just goes to prove..Money isn't everything.

I just can't see how they'd actually have good data for this, maybe it's compiled using Football Manager guesstimates or something like that? I think that's why people aren't biting.

Quote Originally Posted by Temporarily Exiled View Post
    I just can't see how they'd actually have good data for this, maybe it's compiled using Football Manager guesstimates or something like that? I think that's why people aren't biting.
    This. While some of them look plausible, there are some which I really don't buy at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    This. While some of them look plausible, there are some which I really don't buy at all.
    It broadly looks in line with what I would have expected.

It is of course a measure of average wage, rather than playing budget. We have a relatively large squad this year, whereas someone like FGR have a small one (I think). Although their average is higher, I suspect that our overall budget is comparable, or even higher.

If we really are 15th however it does put a different spin on coming 4th. Additionally, we are in a year of boosted budget due to past windfall income, so it's scary to think where we would be ranked without that addition injection of cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyo View Post
    It broadly looks in line with what I would have expected.

It is of course a measure of average wage, rather than playing budget. We have a relatively large squad this year, whereas someone like FGR have a small one (I think). Although their average is higher, I suspect that our overall budget is comparable, or even higher.

If we really are 15th however it does put a different spin on coming 4th. Additionally, we are in a year of boosted budget due to past windfall income, so it's scary to think where we would be ranked without that addition injection of cash.
    Forest Green's squad isn't particularly small (they used 35 players in the FL this season compared with, you only have to look at their accumulated losses to know their budget overall is massive.

Accrington's budget (and therefore allied to average spend) will have been on the lower side of the division but certainly not lowest. Incidentally they also used more players than us despite their strong run to the finish coinciding with a very settled side.

My inference would be on each:

Accrington: Too low
    Barnet: Too low
    Cambridge: Slightly too low
    Carlisle: Probably pretty close
    Cheltenham: Yeah
    Chesterfield: About right
    Colchester: A bit too high
    Coventry: Too low
    Crawley: About right
    Crewe: About right
    Exeter: About right
    FGR: About right
    Grimsby: About right
    Lincoln: A bit higher than I'd have though
    Luton: About right
    Mansfield: Possibly a bit low
    Morecambe: A bit high
    Newport: About right
    Notts County: About right
    Port Vale: Too low
    Stevenage: Too high
    Swindon: About right
    Wycombe: A bit low
    Yeovil: A bit high

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    Forest Green's squad isn't particularly small (they used 35 players in the FL this season compared with, you only have to look at their accumulated losses to know their budget overall is massive.

Accrington's budget (and therefore allied to average spend) will have been on the lower side of the division but certainly not lowest. Incidentally they also used more players than us despite their strong run to the finish coinciding with a very settled side.

My inference would be on each:

Accrington: Too low
    Barnet: Too low
    Cambridge: Slightly too low
    Carlisle: Probably pretty close
    Cheltenham: Yeah
    Chesterfield: About right
    Colchester: A bit too high
    Coventry: Too low
    Crawley: About right
    Crewe: About right
    Exeter: About right
    FGR: About right
    Grimsby: About right
    Lincoln: A bit higher than I'd have though
    Luton: About right
    Mansfield: Possibly a bit low
    Morecambe: A bit high
    Newport: About right
    Notts County: About right
    Port Vale: Too low
    Stevenage: Too high
    Swindon: About right
    Wycombe: A bit low
    Yeovil: A bit high
    Apparently the data came from Football Manager. So may as well have been made up.

I reckon this is a load of old doodoos! A lot of guesswork probably based on dividing playing budget (as per published accounts) by the squad. Can you actually do that or are managers, coaches salaries included? I've no idea to be honest but it looks like fans' gossip valuations to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Bill View Post
    I reckon this is a load of old doodoos! A lot of guesswork probably based on dividing playing budget (as per published accounts) by the squad. Can you actually do that or are managers, coaches salaries included? I've no idea to be honest but it looks like fans' gossip valuations to me!
    Pretty much on the nail. If the true players wages (P1) budgets and actuals were known for all clubs and calculated on the same basis this might have some legs but I can't see how that can be the case. Many budgets are also changed over the course of the season with January moves in and out, salary increases for players who have made the grade as first teamers, loans etc. One suspect these arithmetical averages are pretty meaningless anyway, hiding a range from "star" players on decent money to youngsters on not much more than minimum wage.