• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New director of football?

Red Bill

With Steve Perryman retiring, do people think he should be replaced? Is a role like this a luxury a lower league club can ill afford?

The role itself is a relatively new introduction in football and what its purpose is is often unclear clubs managed without them for a long time so why do we need them now? Personally I don't think its a role a that a club that constantly talks about lack of funds for playing staff should be even thinking about, but what do others think? And who would be your choice (Tisdale fans need not reply, I think we know your answer)?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Would one of those new fangled director of recruitment be better?

Good question though, what does DoF do?

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
According to Dr. Google, a DoF can have many different roles. One major role is as a bridge between manger, Board and Director of Academy... Wouldn't think that would be relevant at City.
Scouting? Negotiating player sales and purchases?

grecIAN Harris

My understanding of it DoF is to do all the non playing related side of what a manager does. As Mike suggest negotiations with purchases and sales, contracts (takes away an kind of ill feeling between manager and player if negotiations aren't going well),possibly off the field match preperations (travel, accommodation, possible training facilities etc).

Alistair20000

I suggest a job description be prepared first and we can then see if we need and can afford this post.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I suggest a job description be prepared first and we can then see if we need and can afford this post.
Is correct. What a D of F does may differ between club to club. If all of SP's responsibilities were listed it could be decided whether they can be shared among other staff or whether a new man for the role is required.

A lot of people have said Tisdale would be good for the job. I disagree. Imagine the new man coming in only to have Tisdale hanging around. It would feel like someone permanently looking over your shoulder, and if things were to go wrong on the field, many fans may call for him to become manager again.

malcolms

Would one of those new fangled director of recruitment be better?

Good question though, what does DoF do?
Hasn't Pete been asking this question for the last five years? :)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Indeed.

What would you expect from a DoF? It would be a nice little earner from an ex-Prem star? Or is £50k a year too little for one of them?

IndoMike

And he took a lot of stick for it

Andy Holloway

"Good question though, what does DoF do?[/QUOTE]

In SP's case, a Rhein of A4 would probably not be enough, basically anything and everything that needs doing, mainly at C&F but not restricted to there though!