Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New director of football?

Re: New director of football?

I think, at our level, a DoF role is useful if someone happens to come along who can add value to the club. Someone like SP. Even then, remuneration should be very limited; it should be for someone who wants to 'keep their hand in' or 'give back' to the sport that has given them so much.
    If someone like this is not around, then I don't think we should, or need, to go looking. The actual jobs undertaken can be shared out between existing roles, beefed up if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffwp View Post
    On that note, did the club once own property they used to house players when needed and if so do they still own any now?
    We can only hope that Pinky and Perky were never made aware.

DoF ? At our level difficult to perceive a need for one.

We have undoubtedly relied heavily on Perrymans industry contacts over the years. Having someone like this involved with the club is most valuable in terms of recruiting players and bringing in loan signings.

It will be hard to find another person of his stature living locally with a passion for ECFC.

Quote Originally Posted by muppetdodger View Post
    I think Tisdale to DofF with Matt Taylor taking up the reigns as manager is a good shout.
    It'll be no surprise to anyone that I wouldn't want Tisdale in that role, but even if I were still a fan of his, I still wouldn't want him to do it as I think this would make any new manager's job extremely difficult with someone held in such high regard within the club looking over his shoulder.

I think a negative result of having one manager in post for so long, is that its fostered a very insular attitude in some people and a tendency to think narrowly, something that's never good in any business as it hinders any new approach or new thinking. I have nothing against Matt Taylor, he was a great player and I think he could well one day make a good manager, but if there's going to be a change I'd rather have completely new blood to freshen things up and I feel the same about the DoF role if SP is replaced. At some stage all senior staff will move on, hopefully there's been sufficient succession planning in the board room to enable the club to embrace this as an opportunity rather than retreat into a position of nepotistic longing, seeing only negatives.

Whilst I think we've been very luck to have someone with the experiences, knowledge and contacts that SP has, I remain to be convinced that we need a DoF. if we do decide to replace him though, I think we should be looking for someone just like him, i.e. someone who's had a long playing career at the highest level, and stayed around the game for sometime since.

Quote Originally Posted by robchave View Post
    I think, at our level, a DoF role is useful if someone happens to come along who can add value to the club. Someone like SP. Even then, remuneration should be very limited;
    Not exactly selling that, So if we do go down the route again and appoint another DOF we're asking someone with good knowledge of the game who can add value to the club and also in a position to be able to be paid a limited remuneration? Can't think many would want that. SP has had a very close relationship with Tis and Tagg, For someone new to come in and build a similar relationship to either of those (If they're both still here next season) and not pay them well is a very big ask

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    We have undoubtedly relied heavily on Perrymans industry contacts over the years. Having someone like this involved with the club is most valuable in terms of recruiting players and bringing in loan signings.

It will be hard to find another person of his stature living locally with a passion for ECFC.
    SP’s contribution to City should never be under estimated. He is still highly respected within Football and it should not be forgotten that he was first involved with the Club when brought in by Noel Blake to sort out what was then a defensive fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffwp View Post
    On that note, did the club once own property they used to house players when needed and if so do they still own any now?
    They certainly used to, many moons ago "when I were a lad", but given the countless financial crises that have since occurred, I think those assets had to be "realised" probably in the Neolithic period !

Quote Originally Posted by Colesman Ballz View Post
    They certainly used to, many moons ago "when I were a lad", but given the countless financial crises that have since occurred, I think those assets had to be "realised" probably in the Neolithic period !
    True and in those long gone days most Clubs had their Club houses. In the pre Johnny Haynes and Jimmy Hill days before the abolition of the maximum wage having a Club house was a boon to most footballers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sexton Blake View Post
    SP’s contribution to City should never be under estimated. He is still highly respected within Football and it should not be forgotten that he was first involved with the Club when brought in by Noel Blake to sort out what was then a defensive fiasco.
    Not sure it was Noel Blake who brought him in, more like he was brought in to sort Noel Blake out.

Nice piece on the BBC website, No internal politics, Nothing, Just a heart felt thanks from the club, As it should be

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44109806